80 gallon rimless build

jbanman14

Cleaner Shrimp
Figured i would start a little build thread. Specs:

Tank: Deep Blue 80 gallon rimless
Sump: 40 gallon acrylic and 100 gallon stock tank
Filtration: MRC MR2 Skimmer, lots of liveish rock, GFO and cheato
Flow: Gyre and Ecodrift
Lighting: 2 x AI Hydra 26 + 4 T5 (2 coral plus and 2 Aquablue special) Thinking of swapping out for 2 Blue +
Return: Iwaki something

About 1000lbs sitting on 4 garage shelf brackets, I'm just happy it hasn't collapsed. Little worried about the light falling into the tank as well. fingers crossed.

Had some hair algae for a bit, scrubbed rocks and have been fortunate that it has not returned. Hopefully stays this way. Shooting for a mixed reef with both SPS and LPS, i know its tough to keep both truly happy in the same tank. So far a lot of LPS. 5 fish, hoping to add at least 6-7 more. It's almost 200 gallons of water so barring any territory/space issues i should be able to keep the water clean with that many fish.

http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/jbanman14/library/New tank

Sorry for link, couldn't get picture upload to work.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Soooooooooo, the brackets are all that are holding it up? Looks kick butt....but makes me nervous just looking at it though. How long has it been up?

jbanman14

Cleaner Shrimp
Mostly, I lag bolted the frame into the wall studs as well. Been up for about 3 months now. I tested it with about 1500lbs of water and myself hoping on it a little and it didn't budge. The brackets are rated at 500lbs each so on paper and after testing it should be fine but I totally agree; took a while to get comfortable myself. There were some backup 2x4's under the front for the first month and I measured every day for sagging. I feel at this point it would start to show stress signs (wall cracks or sagging) before it would just give out but I'm no engineer.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Love the simplicity but I could never put faith in the walls in my house like that!! I’m afraid the whole wall would just tumble in!

whyamisofly

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks GREAT!!! You're much braver than I am, I would have to run an i-beam underneath to sleep safely at night.