Frustration setting in...

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I decided to start the poor mans dosing using that posted links in that topic. My pH has always been low 7.8 to 8.0 and no matter what I dosed I couldn't get it higher than that... Well yesterday I started with the baked baking soda and according to the calculator I needed to dose 1.1 oz of that solution to get my pH and KH up (KH was at 7.7dKH) so after the slow drip dose was done today I tested again to find that my dKH was at 7.8 and my pH was down to 7.8 again... I have tried several products over the last few weeks and I really don't know where to go from here, any thoughts or suggestions?

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Open a window? Move you skimmer's breather tube to a area that gets more fresh air? See if that has any effect on your ph. Also, have you looked into dosing Kalk? That would increase alc and ph.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
I used to use SeaChem eight.four, reef buffer, and some other ones. Nothing really worked. Finally someone asked me if my inhabitants looked upset. The answer was no, I was then told I'd go crazy chasing pH. As long as your tank looks happy...

coloagro

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Boogie;144792 said:
Open a window? Move you skimmer's breather tube to a area that gets more fresh air? See if that has any effect on your ph. Also, have you looked into dosing Kalk? That would increase alc and ph.
If you can first open a window OR even better plumb your skimmer airline to the outdoors somehow...through the drill the wall/window etc...if you near something that would work. If not then dose Kalk...that will do the trick...If Kalk doesnt do it then your Mag levels need to be supplemented...without proper Mag your Calc/Alk/Ph will never be inline. BTW I run my tank PH at 7.89 to 8.18 with 490+ Calcium & 8-9DKH with weekly water changes ONLY...but then again I dont know what size tank/corals etc you have.

Are the corals not opening or any thing else look wrong with your tank? If not I say dont worry about it, every tank is diffent and finds a different balance the recommended PH is more of a guildline of what other tanks have found for the balance.
Also lime water has a PH of 12 so using that with your ATO will get it up and help in other ways...

Sent from phone.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks everyone! I was doing kalk but it didnt seem to do anything. The reason I'm concerned is because I can't seem to keep sps very happy...especially acros, and the frustration builds when I visit others tanks and see that I should be getting better growth from these corals...
What are the ideal ranges for calcium, KH, pH,and magnesium for a mixed reef with emphasis on sps growth?

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
come by tonight I have something for you to try. May have to call as I am up and downstairs and may not hear the door. 720-438-0387

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zooid;144969 said:
I keep my mag and Ca on the higher side.
Ca - 425
Mg - 1500
Thats really high Mg, but as long as you get there slowly
I hear the aquarium in Hawaii has 800ppm Ca

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah I like to keep my mag high just to keep some types of algae at bay (supposedly).
800ppm? damn that's high, I wonder if it helps?

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
From what I was told they pull water from the ocean through the beach sand as a natural filter, and as a by product the sand jacks the Ca up through the roof, and the resulting PPM cannot be replicated for any amount of time in an enclosed system.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sorry to hear that, I think experiences vary greatly in this hobby, I have a completely different perspective as when I wrecked my motorcycle I paid my bills for a couple months with the frags I had grown.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Definitely not cheap to start a reef tank, but not too bad running one.
I've paid for quite a few goodies like four Vortech MP40w's and a six unit AI fixture by
raising clownfish :)