Getting rid of these polyps

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Does anyone have a good way to get rid of these polyps growing on one of my zoa frags? I tried squirting them with AptasiaX but that didn't work. Hard to cut them off since they are mixed in with the zoas. Thanks for any advise.

Adam

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
+1 pickling lime, you may stress the zoas but they will survive so long as you dont paste right on top of them.

Kindafishy

Cleaner Shrimp
If you can get a Hypodermic needle, Inject them with the pickling lime. I've seen aptasia just let go and float around after doing that to them. Then you just net them out.

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;153674 said:
you can chip them off and DBTC them

LOL. I have a plate of these that sits in the back of my tank so they don't spread anymore. Anyone is welcome to it!

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
You are correct. They are yellow colony polyps. I just tried the aptasiaX because I had it handy. Stuff grows like mad in my tank. I named the thread polyps. Figured folks could tell what they were from the pics. So pickling lime won't kill yellow polyps?

Adam

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
If there was an easy way to frag them I would happily give them away to new reefers. They take over like star polyps of which I have a big rock of if anyone is interested in a trade

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Pickling lime will kill most everything in your tank in the right concentrations hehe.
If you inject the polyps, they should die quickly. If you can chisel them off, other
people may want some. I actually like them but don't want to be overrun.

Crit21

Butterfly Fish
They're definitely not aiptasia. They look like palythoa. Don't touch them with bare hands and definitely wear eye protection if you take them out of the water.

I'd just use tile nippers or wire dikes to snip the rock away that had the undesirable palys and throw them out.

Crit21

Butterfly Fish
They're definitely not aiptasia. They look like palythoa. Don't touch them with bare hands and definitely wear eye protection if you take them out of the water.

I'd just use tile nippers or wire dikes to snip the rock away that had the undesirable palys and throw them out.

Yea I say chip up the rock. I have had to do this before and it worked pretty well.

If nobody wants them, just flush them. They will go to coral heaven or Mexico, whichever one comes first.....

Yea I say chip up the rock. I have had to do this before and it worked pretty well.

If nobody wants them, just flush them. They will go to coral heaven or Mexico, whichever one comes first.....