Gfci install?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I bought a new gfci outlet for where I'm putting one of my tanks. I turned off the breaker, took the old outlet off, and installed the new one. Done this a bunch and never had any problems.
When I turned the breaker back on, later this afternoon of the three outlets in the room the outlet across the room isn't working and the gfci isn't working. Strangest thing is there is one still working along the wall with the gfci.
Any thoughts?

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You sure this wasn't part of an existing circuit under GFCI protection?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
None of the other outlets are gfci in the room, most in the house are but the bedrooms are not.

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Gfci outlets have a load and a line side, the gfci should be the first outlet from the line side, the rest wired in parallel on the load side. Thats if you want all the outlets protected? How did you wire yours?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've just always taken the outlet I wanted gfci and put in the new outlet, I bet that's what happened and I didn't wire the line side going out the right way. Thanks!!!

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So it was all wired correctly just a faulty outlet. Got a new one and bam all good.

It's also important to remember that a single GFCI outlet can protect multiple standard outlets that are word together.

Sounds like you got your problem figured out though.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
19TheSaint75;350867 said:
It's also important to remember that a single GFCI outlet can protect multiple standard outlets that are word together.

Sounds like you got your problem figured out though.
I read the directions finally today. :)
I did find the outlet that was first in the series and will use that one but need to get a replacement outlet first thing tomorrow.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
DJBM3;359656 said:
this thread lead me to home depot this weekend... now I feel safe!
Glad to hear it. Saved my tank a few days ago when the ato pump tubing came off and sprayed water on the wall. Caught it within seconds but tripped the breaker and everything still works.