GFO and Carbon - single reactor

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Anyone running GFO and Carbon in a single reactor? Any disadvantages other than carbon being exhausted faster than GFO?

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think you get better with seperate but i have used that clear fx and loved it and that has both in a single bag. What is the worst that could happen. I mean if you look at it your using way less gfo than normal so it really isnt that much of a waste.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Ya I have a spectrapure dual reactor but tight on space under my stand (pain in rear to change canisters). So got the BRS mini reactor to save space. Agreed Gfo isn't to expensive and neither is carbon but wanted to see if there was any disadvantage to gfo not tumbling what so ever.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;338566 said:
Ya I have a spectrapure dual reactor but tight on space under my stand (pain in rear to change canisters). So got the BRS mini reactor to save space. Agreed Gfo isn't to expensive and neither is carbon but wanted to see if there was any disadvantage to gfo not tumbling what so ever.
Sure gfo wont be as effecient but i think it would be ok. Just my .02

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hi cap gfo is more expensive, but doesn't get tumbled. I think for the most part, if mixed with carbon, regular gfo doesn't need tumbling. Tumbling really just helps it from clogging imo. With it mixed with the carbon, not tumbling will help reduce fines being released also.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I run carbon and GFO mixed together in a single reactor and don't have any issues.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
The only real drawbacks to a single reactor that I can think of are :
- You have to change the gfo more often. When the reactor is separate you can usually get gfo to last quite a bit longer then carbon, so in the long run you use less gfo. But in a single you have to change when the carbon runs out.
- You cant flow as much water through the carbon as you can if you separate because you dont want the gfo to tumble much at all with the carbon or it will break up into mush.

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I run both in my reactor....both are high quality and I let them slow tumble. Never. Noticed any issues, as for breaking up during tumble....no issues..

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Thank you everyone for your input I greatly appreciate it.

I decide to run a combined reactor and used Spectrapure spectrazorb phosphate removal media and Spectrapure spectrazorb granulated active carbon