GFO Causing reduced calcification?

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I started using GFO a little over a year ago and it really helped knock out my algae problems. I was running the recomended dose of 1tbs per 4 gallons in a Little fishes reactor. My coral growth was terrible and I couldn't even grow coraline algae on my back glass. I ran out of GFO about 2 months ago and have not bought any more as to see what would happen if I quit running it 24/7. Within 2 weeks I had coraline on my glass and rocks, and within a month I had new growth on ALL my corals. Here we are 2 months later and my back glass is covered with coraline and my corals are looking great. Do you think I was running too much GFO or running it too often? I know they debate about what other things GFO leaches from the water beside nitrates, I now know this to be true. What experiences have you had?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes and no. You need next to no phosphate for calcification to occur, but to grow new tissue in the algae and coral, you do need some phosphate. ...so you are right about limiting growth, but it is the tissue side, not calcification.

AFAIK and IME, GFO will not leech anything unless you put saturated GFO in water with less phosphate in it. GFO will just look to get to equilibrium with the tank water.

FWIW, I don't run any GFO ever. I want to see "clear" on Salifer PO4 test kit, but see growth of both coral, coralline and even some macro or other film algae. If you starve algae, you can/will starve coral too. I don't understand why people set up new tanks and use GFO and/or biopellets from the get-go when PO4 is natural and can be handled by the system if you are patient and smart.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
It certainly wasn't a new tank, but I agree. I will just stick with my vodka dosing now :)

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
ReeferMatt;301060 said:
It certainly wasn't a new tank, but I agree. I will just stick with my vodka dosing now :)
Ooh you just opened a can of worms. Lol
Most people don't do both for sure.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah, I was doing both... but believe you me.. it worked :)

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah, my calcium was typically around 500ppm 9dkh and good mag levels too.