Glass suction cups?

Does anyone have some good ones they could let me borrow? I've got an Elos 120xl arriving on Tuesday on a pallet. I'm told the tank weighs 350 lbs and I need to get it in my basement.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
You could always start a new post asking for help moving your tank? Lots of nice folks on here, and can easily be bought with a pizza or subs or something.... I don't know where Northfield is?

Thanks SUS. TherealChrisBrown, Northfield is in the city of Denver but the very north east edge. I'm just north of the intersection of Central Park Blvd and I-70. Great idea on the post. I had no idea the tank would weigh that much. It only holds 126 g yet apparently weighs much more than the 210 I had some time ago.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Harbor freight also sells them for $6 each last I checked (they aren't the best but I haven't had any problems getting them to work). I have 2 pair down in Aurora, but Chris is right people on here are usually able and willing to help.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Balz3352;668007 said:
Id caution against cheap non professional suction cups... Trust me learn from me.
I don't remember seeing an accident?

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;n668019 said:

Yep its back there somewhere. 210 I bought broke when 2 suction cups failed
What kind of failure. I think even the good ones suffer from needing to be applied just right. lots of good pressure as you lock them in. The like 4 tank moves I've been a part of they held up well on 300/400g tanks with I think the worse one kinda sliding. (might have been wet glass.)

Key is to test the weight on each one individually ahead of time. I also usually advocate 2 per person in their spot. Gives you more gripping room rather than trying to squeeze 2 hands on one, and also covers you in case of a failure. (Arranged in a L or staggered =) And long walks like Josh Beards was I'd avoid sure.

End of the day tank moves just suck period and are nerve wracking. Or in my case nerve destroying since I'm post surgery and looking at another MRI from blowing my L5-S1 disc on my tank.

BUT yes, if you can get access to better ones for sure go for it. With care and caution for someone in a financial or time pinch I'd still use the HF ones.