Good bad other wise?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Can't really see it cause it's small but white and looks like a small starfish. Have at least two in this tank.

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Looks to me like asterina starfish. There are something like 80-100 species of asterinas and almost all of them are reef safe. The couple that aren't, will eat corals. Keep an eye on them, most likley they are fine. I have heard of people eradicating them simply with a harlequin shrimp.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
They are asterina Starfish. In my experience completely harmless. Will eat your purple coraline though which to me is annoying. I let them build up then get a harlequin to take them back down.

Some will say they eat or at least irritate zoas. I personally have hundreds if not thousands and have never had this issue. (perhaps ive just been lucky dont know)

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think most species of asterina starfishes are pretty benign, but some eat zoas (or at least really annoy them). I always try to pull them if I see them on or near zoas.

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
BrianH;353824 said:
Looks to me like asterina starfish. There are something like 80-100 species of asterinas and almost all of them are reef safe. The couple that aren't, will eat corals. Keep an eye on them, most likley they are fine. I have heard of people eradicating them simply with a harlequin shrimp.
I double checked and it looks li there are 36+ different species of asterinas not 80 - 100.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Yep asterina star, good little algae eaters/ scavengers for the most part. They can multiply fairly quickly but I never found them to be that bad.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SynDen;353982 said:
Yep asterina star, good little algae eaters/ scavengers for the most part. They can multiply fairly quickly but I never found them to be that bad.
"Fairly quickly"....i found 5 on my glass this morning. If only my high end stuff would multiply that well! :)