Greetings from a recent salt convert

Thought I'd say hi and introduce myself. I've been keeping freshwater fish since the mid 90's, but just recently got bit by the salt bug. Converted my 65 gal from fresh to salt after a freak dieoff from a CO2 regulator getting stuck wide open and gassing all my fish in that tank.

Taking it slow as I have been advised numerous times that impatience will cost you in this hobby. Tank has been running for about 60 days with 40 lbs of live rock and 60 lbs of aragonite sand. Running a 20 gallon sump below and in that I have a 18w UV filter and 40w worth of wide-spectrum LED growing out chaeto in the refugium area. Added 2 ocellaris clowns and 1 peppermint shrimp 3 weeks ago after the ammonia and nitrite spikes from the live rock curing returned to 0. So far so good, but I'm wanting recommendations for both fish and invert/coral stocking.

Tank is fed by a RIO+ 2500 pump, 3 medium sized powerheads for in-tank current, and a HOB skimmer (because it won't fit below in the sump area).

Lighting is currently a Current Orbit Marine 36" LED bar, but I'm thinking I need to supplement with additional T5HO or MH, as it doesn't seem to be as bright as I'd expected.

I'd also be interested in learning of more LFS locations, as right now I just know of Fish Den and About Fish.

Fourthwind

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome! Sounds like you have a good set up. Your right about the lights. The marine orbit will do ok for softies, but not much after that. You will get 52 different answers on what light set up works best. I like the LED set ups. SB reef lights, Radions, ect. Less running costs and do what I need them to do. For salt water there are a few good places. My favorite when I can get there is Aquatic Arts. Most of the good places keep odd hours but are worth going to if you can.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
There is Aquatic Arts in highlands ranch, liquid kingdom in Broomfield. Stone aquatics and Aquamart in Lakewood. Keys Island in Sheridan/Denver. Neptune's tropical fish in Highlands Ranch. And Tods tropical fish in Arvada but I don't recommend that place. Bad experience there for me at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Fish crew in Ft. Collins as well as Alpine Koi and Pond. Animal attractions in Greeley. Aqua Imports in Boulder.

There are also sponsor LFS that you can make appointments to go to

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
:welcome: to the darkside :cigar:

A good majority of our sponsors are local. My personal favorite(s) is Aquatic Art, Gonzo, and Ambrosio Aquatics, but there are a ton of good ones up and down the front range

Dr.DiSilicate;n660574 said:
Hey welcome. What corals are you thinking of keeping?

I'm not sure yet. Only thing I have in there is blue xenia, but it is not spreading, just staying in one spot. I need to figure out my end goals before I get much further into it.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
That is a great spot to be in! :) Although, I would stress that now would be the time to start learning about corals and deciding where you want to go. Its easy to fall into throwing whatever coral you feel like in your tank, just take it slow and know what you are putting in the tank before you add it. If you can, QT corals as well as your fish
Also keep that xenia isolated and not anywhere near other rocks it can latch onto. if it spread off its rock, cut it back and throw it away before it spreads ;)