Grow out contest 2016-1

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Challenging to photo, but I believe I've got a little baby head too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NightHawk

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think I'm out guys. Mine only opened one time and it was at night and it never opened again. I had it in three different spots all with happy zoas near it and it just didn't open. No visible pests either. I think it is starting to melt and I don't know what else I can do.

NightHawk

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I will, there is still a polyp I'm just not sure on what I can do to help it. I moved it one last time and will monitor it.

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
So, is it still there just not open? You could have someone see if they can take it and see if it opens. Or we can try to figure out why. Have you tested your water lately?

Ask and you may find out, don't ask and you will never know.

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Super lame. :( hopefully it turns around here soon

NightHawk

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah I have tested my water and nothing new it all checks out. I will probably test it again tomorrow and see if anything has changed in the last 5 days. It has just never opened for me. If somebody could try taking it I would be more than willing. I would rather save my money invested more than anything. What's weird is its in the same spot as all the other happy zoas.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm in the same boat as TeemReefer with it not opening up.

On anther note, do Zoas grow back after they melt!?

That's terrible guys! Where have you been placing the zoa? High light, low light? High flow, low flow? What kind if light? What are your parameters?

Maybe others that are having success, can post their details. Maybe we can identify the issue.

For reference. Mine has a fully developed baby, half the size of first head. It is placed bottom front corner, of my 24gal biocube. High flow (well, high for my tank lol may be medium flow for others...). Have 2x Nanobox V3 LED array
channel 1= 3xNeutral White, 2xViolet, 2xLime
channel 2= 1xRebel Cyan, 1xBlue, 4xRoyal Blue
I'm running channel 1 at 30%, channel 2 at 60% on a natural daylight cycle, tied to Fiji, so coming up on shortest day of the year next month, has about 5 hours of "full" intensity, with 4-5 hours of ramp up and down. (Even though it's summer here, my tank is in the middle of winter lol)
Salinity:1.026, Ammonia: 0, nitrite: 0, nitrate: 3, phosphate: 0, calcium: 430, alkalinity: 8.5dkh, temp: 78deg.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

NightHawk

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I can get parameters tomorrow hopefully. I have had it in all sorts of light and flow areas but I moved it one last time to a medium to low light with moderate flow to see if that helps. I run a kessil a360we and sadly I already know my phosphates and nitrates will be a little higher than most just because I run a canister filter but that was because when I bought the tank 5 years ago I was only 11 and could not nearly afford a drilled tank with a sump. Luckily I'm upgrading this summer though. The water quality should be fine for them though I'm growing a wide range of corals including acros. I still can't figure out why only this zoa when I have so many others that are happy.

NightHawk

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm in Fort Collins. I think I'm going to see how it does in this last spot for the rest of this week and then when summer starts I can see if someone can take it. I'm just starting finals this morning so I'm going to be pretty busy.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have put my zoas in low light/low flow, med light with low flow and now I just put it in my frag tank yesterday so we'll see how that goes. One of the spots was on my frag rack in my tank where I have all my zoas which grow tremendously. I'll post my water conditions later when I get the chance. I haven't tested them in a week.

NightHawk

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
sadly I just got home from school and the polyp melted overnight. If any of you guys ever have a frag for sale in the future please let me know.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm sorry to hear that, I feel your pain. My hallucinations melted on me last week. I had one head and two babies

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
TeenReefer;650940 said:
sadly I just got home from school and the polyp melted overnight. If any of you guys ever have a frag for sale in the future please let me know.
Once the grow out is over and I can frag one. I will give you my first frag from this one.

Ask and you may find out, don't ask and you will never know.