GSP melting :(

Bdk1786

Butterfly Fish
Over the last few weeks, my GSPs have started to diminish and it looks like they wont recover. They have been explosive ever since I got them a few months ago, so much that I was ready to frag them off and DBTC them. Here is a pic of them first thing in the morning, still under moonlights, but even in the daytime, they don't look much better than this. Any help or previous experience with this would be greatly appreciated. GSPs are one of my wife's favorite in the tank(happy wife, happy life?)
Everything else in the tank is doing awesome. Hammers,Frog spawn, tort, milli, montis, favia, acans, stylo, etc...GSPs are the only ones lacking.

Params:

Salt:35ppt
Alk: 9.2
CA:420
Mg:1400
PH.8.0
Phos:~.04
Nitrate: (refills incoming from amazon) Very very low from last reading less than 5ppm

All test kits by Red Sea.

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
I've got gsp sitting ten inches under watch with mh blasting them. They love light, darkness, high flow, low flow. Sometimes they just melt, no idea why it just happens.

Ask and you may find out, don't ask and you will never know.

Bdk1786

Butterfly Fish
Flow has been the same. They are sitting in a RSM250 with Steve's LEDs on the bottom where they have been.

I have seen an increased amount of crab activity all over them. It is possible the crabs are just smothering them?

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
My next thought was going to be that something has developed a taste for them. Have somewhere you can banish the crabs to for a bit to see if the gsp improves?

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hate to say it but this is a blessing in disguise. Worse things than GSP disappearing. Wish mine would have. Ended up having to buy all new rock when it spawned and covered everything. Those and yellow colony will never see my tank again.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I had an Alk spike once that mine never recovered from. Since then whenever I see mine not coming out I sort of freak out and go check my ALK levels! :crazytown: Yours however looks to be the high side of normal, so I don't really know if my experience helps at all.

Bdk1786

Butterfly Fish
After seeing other tanks over run by their GSPs, I am secretly thankful for this meltdown as well. I am just confused on how my tank can melt the weeds and nothing else (not complaining) :p

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ha! Well done. I violently rip chunks off of mine and throw them in the trash. I've often considered giving away the biggest bit of it. However, it does look pretty cool in the flow and people notice it far more than some much more interesting (to me) corals.

My GSP have become my indicator species. I finally realized, at least in my tank, the moment my phosphates begin to creep up the GSP retract. A few days of forgetting to change the filter floss, or a skipped water change is all it takes for my system.