Hair algae !!!!!

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Alright guys what's the best way to get rid of hair algae ?? 29 gallon cube I Don't feed that much, ones every other day my lights are on for 10 hour's a day currently live stock is a pair of clown fish and a cardinal fish I do 25% water change per week, I dose fuel 7ml twice a week , what am I doing wrong? ?

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Not feeding much? Kind of a relative term, fish should have all food gone in 30 seconds... What's your water source? RO is needed in this hobby. Water movement? How old are the lights? Is the lighting at full intensity for the 10 hours? That's a long time IMO. Fuel can fuel the algae as well, it has what the algae needs. Stop the dosing, you are giving the tank what it needs with those water changes. How old is the tank? What algae eaters do you have? What's your alk, and magnesium look like? Just a few thoughts without knowing your system... Ooh yea, what kind of rock do you have?

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
In my opinion Fuel should only be used if you have an extremely low nutrient tank otherwise I just dont think its really needed. Again just my opinion. If you have hair algae then you have excessive nutrients whether they are showing up or not. Just to give you an idea I only dose 6ml a week of fuel for 80 gallons and that was with phosphate and nitrate undetectable. So personally I think you are using too much.

First thing I would do is stop dosing the fuel. I'm assuming based on all the explanation marks behind the words "Hair Algae" that you have quite a bit so I'm guessing you are not registering much of a phosphate or nitrate reading? If you are what are your current N03 P04 levels?

What are you feeding? Do you run an reactor?

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Im using ro ,Light is 165 w led blue on at 11 at 40 % white on at 12 blue off at 8 and white off at 9 , tank has been running for 9 months with fully stable live rock , for flow I have a eco drift 4.0 + my return pump on the back chamber I have live rock and chaetomorpha I just have the stock skimmer but I never skipped a water change I may stop dosing fuel , I just started dosing live phytoplankton today, so should I feed more often? ?

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't have a phosphate test kit but I will definitely get one tomorrow

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
tony02133;333610 said:
Im using ro ,Light is 165 w led blue on at 11 at 40 % white on at 12 blue off at 8 and white off at 9 , tank has been running for 9 months with fully stable live rock , for flow I have a eco drift 4.0 + my return pump on the back chamber I have live rock and chaetomorpha I just have the stock skimmer but I never skipped a water change I may stop dosing fuel , I just started dosing live phytoplankton today, so should I feed more often? ?
I Don't run a reactor and I'm feeding pe mysis , rod's food and hikari mega marine

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
:ambivalence::ban::ban::funnyburger::beer::very_drunk:

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
coach;333630 said:
Although you need to get to the root of the problem, adding a sea hare will mow quite a bit of it down.
It's not that bad yet I think a sea hare will starved in a day

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
tony02133;333612 said:
I Don't run a reactor and I'm feeding pe mysis , rod's food and hikari mega marine
Do you rinse your frozen food before feeding? I've noticed that with pe mysis the water gets super oily and murky after you let it thaw. I use a pee cup and thaw pe mysis in tank or RO water and then rinse it. Just a thought. It may help reduce the import of nutrients somewhat.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
How old is the tank? I had some pieces of rock that were dry that I had to take out cause they were leaking phosphates and other stuff. Once those were gone just took some time to pull all the hair algae off and a few turbos did the rest.

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
reeftankulous;333679 said:
Do you rinse your frozen food before feeding? I've noticed that with pe mysis the water gets super oily and murky after you let it thaw. I use a pee cup and thaw pe mysis in tank or RO water and then rinse it. Just a thought. It may help reduce the import of nutrients somewhat.
I do rinse all my frozen food

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
robert.talarico;334086 said:
I currently have a sea hare cleaning up my tank from when I was sick. After I'm done it will go to josh. You're welcome to have him after that.
Thanks I will definitely like to borrow him after him

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Miah2bzy;333711 said:
How old is the tank? I had some pieces of rock that were dry that I had to take out cause they were leaking phosphates and other stuff. Once those were gone just took some time to pull all the hair algae off and a few turbos did the rest.
It's 9 months old live rock came from a well established tank and didn't notice any hair algae when I purchased the rock