Hanna Checker GB

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Updated first post with people interested.

I'm also moving the order date to monday may 7, may 5 is the last day to say you want one, you then have the weekend to do paypal. Prepay is key as I'm a broke college student and won't have $$ to pay for you.

Gale, I have to go to your place to drop off frag and maybe get a clown. If the checkers are in by the 14th, DARC meeting, can I drop these off with you?

I'm not interested in driving all around D town to meet/drop off these things. I will however be into meeting at a location for all to get these from me. I will ship in a flat-rate box if interested.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sorry guys, I've been trying to get a hold of Ron since friday. Obviously they don't answer phones or return emails. Still planning on getting these though, count on website pricing though.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Bump.

Just got off the phone with Ron. The price break points are 20; $38, 50; $37.50
He is trying to get better pricing from Hanna, but he isn't getting a reply either. His markup is minimal so that's the best he can do at this time.

Looking like it will be website prices.

Please let me know what exactly you want, extra reagents, and whatever else you want. We have free shipping already.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I thought there was only one phosphate checker.....the other I thought was a low range PHOSPHORUS checker. Am I wrong?

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Phosphate checker reads phosphate in PPM
Range is .01 to You should quit the hobby

Phosphorous checker reads in PPB ie Low range
You need to convert phosphorous to phosphate Your reading x 3.066 /1000 = Converted Reading in ppm

I have the phosphate checker. IMO it is not very accurate at the lower levels we check. I can run 3 simultaneous tests and they all read differently. For example my last testing I got readings at .08 .09 .15. I ran this against my Salifert test and it was around .03/4. You might get better results then I. I think in order to get accurate readings at such low levels your cuvette has to be immaculate. No scrathes, no water marks, no fingerprints, not a single thing on the glass. As the cuvette's get older this is really hard to do.

So IMO it is better to get the Phosphorous checker and convert. There is a drawback with that checker though. It will only convert to roughly .06. However, anything higher than this should be dealt with anyways.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
One last note. A lot of people complain about the timer on the phosphate checker. It is only 3 minutes before it shuts off. Let me give you guys my method on how to maximize your time with the checker without it turning off before you test.
-------------
First get a business card and crease it in half. Keep this with your test kit so you can easily reuse it. Also have a stopwatch handy (probably one on your phone).
Now to test

Put on latex or vinyl gloves
Take out the business card and empty your reagent packet onto it.
Fill your cuvette with water to test.
Make sure the cap is tight and run RO water over the cuvette
Dry with a lint free towel
Place the cuvette in the checker and turn on
Press C1 to zero out the checker
When the checker says C2 start your stopwatch (3 minutes till shutoff starts now)
Pull the cuvette out by the cap and open
(the checker only reads from the top portion of the cuvette)
Take your reagent from the business card and pour in
GENTLY shake until you have about 30 seconds left from 3 minutes
(Dont vigorously shake!!! You will cause too many bubbles and will get a inaccurate reading!)
Place the cuvette back into the checker (before placing it back in I wipe it down again with a towel)
Hold the button down until a 3 minute timer starts
Take a wizz
Get your results

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Phosphate has a liquid reagent now? I know alk was powder and now has liquid, didn't know about phos though. No tips since I never used it.

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zooid;92195 said:
I thought there was only one phosphate checker.....the other I thought was a low range PHOSPHORUS checker. Am I wrong?
Didn't even catch that one, thanks for pointing it out.

djkms;92199 said:
Phosphate checker reads phosphate in PPM
Range is .01 to You should quit the hobby

Phosphorous checker reads in PPB ie Low range
You need to convert phosphorous to phosphate Your reading x 3.066 /1000 = Converted Reading in ppm

I have the phosphate checker. IMO it is not very accurate at the lower levels we check. I can run 3 simultaneous tests and they all read differently. For example my last testing I got readings at .08 .09 .15. I ran this against my Salifert test and it was around .03/4. You might get better results then I. I think in order to get accurate readings at such low levels your cuvette has to be immaculate. No scrathes, no water marks, no fingerprints, not a single thing on the glass. As the cuvette's get older this is really hard to do.

So IMO it is better to get the Phosphorous checker and convert. There is a drawback with that checker though. It will only convert to roughly .06. However, anything higher than this should be dealt with anyways.
Thanks. Think I'm still going with the low range one. Anyone want to change their selection?