Hanna Checkers

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Is anyone using the Hanna Instruments calcium and alkalinity checkers? Looking for reviews and feedback on them..... all thoughts, experiences and opinions appreciated.

Looking to buy some if overall consensus is positive.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not sure to be honest. From what I read you have to add purified water to the test and its real finicky but I have no first hand experience since I dont test calcium.

Heffe01

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just bought a calcium one off reef central for $30. There were a lot of people who wanted it...so I can post a review here in about a week.

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have the calcium tester. It can be a process but once you get used to it its not bad. The downside is the reagents they are a little pricey for refills. You have to fill the vile w 9mil to and 1 mil agent then add .01 tank water and a package of reagent but it is better than counting drips or guessing colors

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have the alkalinity tester and I love it, I also have a low range phosphate tester and I have to set everything up before turning on the meter because there is a very short automatic turn off time for the meter. All that being said, I still love the phosphate tester.
I didn't buy the calcium tester because it needs RO/DI in order to use and the reagents cost far too much. Salifert is a better fit for me on the calcium side.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Does anyone in the Arvada area have a Hanna Phosphate checker that reads zero on their RO/DI?
I'd like to get a sample of your RO/DI and check my meter. I went by EliteReef and checked theirs and my tester
shows their RO/DI at .09ppm. That seems awful high for RO/DI, so I'm afraid my meter isn't calibrated properly.
Please let me know if anyone around here has RO/DI that checks out at zero on their Hanna tester.
Thanks.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
It may just be time for them to replace some media in their filter. Do you have a tds meter? If it reads close to 0, then I'd go ahead and test your phos meter for accuracy. But if you get a higher reading for tds...it's prob not your meter that's off. Last time I picked up water there, which was a few weeks ago, it read 023 on my tds meter. I decided to top off anyway and had some diatoms pop up that week.

Not certain that I can say that's to blame...but I'd suspect there could be some phosphate in the water if it's gone this long unchecked.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;160460 said:
Not certain that I can say that's to blame...but I'd suspect there could be some phosphate in the water if it's gone this long unchecked.
It read about the same on my TDS meter. I'd just like to feel better about my Hanna by checking a known zero water supply......That way I know if my phosphates are off the charts or if it's just my checker hehe.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Definitely understandable. I'd want to confirm that as well.

Don't have a meter, but I'm on the border of arvada and should have my ro/di hooked up this weekend. If you'd like to just sample another source with your meter to see what you get, you're more than welcome. I also have buckets from another source that have consistently read 001 on my tds.