Harlequin Shrimp Questions

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Any idea how to keep one from eating my sand sifters? I have a growing astrea star problem I'd like to deal with but I don't want to sacrifice my sand sifters. Any suggestions are welcome.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
before you show it your red room, make it sign a contract to never eat a sand sifter. And a nondisclosure agreement.

Rumen

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
My sand shifting star get eaten alive by the shrimp all the time but the shrimp can't finish he eats like half a leg but it seems to grow back by the next attack

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Rumen;343091 said:
My sand shifting star get eaten alive by the shrimp all the time but the shrimp can't finish he eats like half a leg but it seems to grow back by the next attack
I was wondering about that. It would seem they could get away by burrowing back in the sand.

Skrappy

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am not a shrimp expert, but I am pretty sure their primary diet in the wild is lankia and sand sifting star fish. So if you want the A-hole stars to get eaten you probably need to take your other stars out and put them in the sump. Its not from experience I'm just guessing, but I would think even if he didn't fully eat your sand sifter that the shrimp would loose its appetite for the little A-holes and just eat on your sand sifter slowly. Better safe than sorry, you don't want him to eat your sand sifter and then still not eat the ASStrea stars.