Hawkfish bullying fire fish

Hi all. My Hawkfish and fire fish have been living peacefully for about 4 months now. But recently my hawk just looms over the fire fish's cave and keeps scaring him back in. Doesn't let him come out, but does not bite. Fire fish has no apparent damage. I don't know if can catch this hawk and don't have time to reorganize my tank to stir up territory. Is there another way to regain peace?

sethsolomon;n641126 said:
How big is the tank?

Ah yes, sorry. 60 gallon cube. The tank is also going through a 2nd cycle (i guess). Had it 6 months, never had any major algae blooms till now. Only recently the nitrates have spiked to 15-20ppm. Been doing water changes to mitigate but could that be impacting her behavior?

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Scobra;641269 said:
Ah yes, sorry. 60 gallon cube. The tank is also going through a 2nd cycle (i guess). Had it 6 months, never had any major algae blooms till now. Only recently the nitrates have spiked to 15-20ppm. Been doing water changes to mitigate but could that be impacting her behavior?
Because of the algae bloom I'm guessing you've cut back on feedings so that might be why it's being so aggressive of lately. Just a thought.

JuanGutz;641270 said:
Because of the algae bloom I'm guessing you've cut back on feedings so that might be why it's being so aggressive of lately. Just a thought.
A very good point! I will look into this. It seems to have gotten better since I rearranged some rocks to fix the problem but did not consider my strict feeding to be the culprit. Thanks again.