HELP: Anemone in my pump

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I traded for two rainbows a week or two ago now and one settled right away:

The other was on the back wall and then last night got stuck on the grate feeding to the back of my aoi, I tried to pry it loose but the flow of water had split it already. By morning it was in the refuge section:

I had to work today and wasn't able to spend but a moment or two in tank.
Came home to this:

The two smaller nems went over the divider and then got stuck on the maxijets I am using to pump water back in. Looks like the one is gone - tentacles got shredded and foot is slashed - but the other one might make it - foot is intact/closed into itself.
What should I do?
I'm currently running, carbon/chemipure/purigen in my media tower and have a clownfish and a purple fire fish in the "display".

Last edited by a moderator:
Had something similar happen a month back my GBTA got hung up in the intake of a pump lost all its tentacles on one side. I placed it in a hang on nylon breeder and yesterday I released it back in to the tank with all new tentacles ... it likes to move around so I am watching it close.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Changed out my carbon for new and did a 5 gallon water change. Moved the one nem that seemed ok to the main tank and took the other out and into trash (all that was left was a small piece of foot in the maxijet intake.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
OUCH! I hate it when that happens. All I know to do is clean out the small bits so they don't rot, and keep doing water changes. Hopefully the bigger piece regenerates and gets healthy. And, more importantly, finds a happy place and stays there.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
FinsUp!;362363 said:
OUCH! I hate it when that happens. All I know to do is clean out the small bits so they don't rot, and keep doing water changes. Hopefully the bigger piece regenerates and gets healthy. And, more importantly, finds a happy place and stays there.
Yea, I was hoping given I had setup an aio that I wouldn't run into this problem. Don't have any power heads in the display portion but had switched out the stock pump that had a y connector to the two inlets for two maxijets. Had just washed my filter sleeve on that side of the tank and that's how the nem slipped thru the gate and past the back section, wouldn't have happened w the filter sock in place.
Traded $50 worth of zoas for two rainbow nems so even with the loss it's still a win and I think the other part f the split will pull thru.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Easy trick, grab some of the brs 1/8" nylon netting (I have some leftover you can have if you're ever up near broomfield) and zip tie it over the grate. Makes it almost impossible for a nem to slip through.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;362384 said:
Easy trick, grab some of the brs 1/8" nylon netting (I have some leftover you can have if you're ever up near broomfield) and zip tie it over the grate. Makes it almost impossible for a nem to slip through.
Nice mod, I've got some in the garage that I'll add later today. Thanks!

Nmertz1

Angel Fish
I had my sunburst go thru my mp10 a few years ago. Found a tiny shred of it in the back chamber of my Nuvo 38. Put in back in the display by a rock, and in 8 weeks it was almost back to normal. It's been 2 years since then and it's doing amazing. Nems are much hardier than people give them credit for

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Moved the partial nem to my drag tank to heal in a cauldron. Looking really good this morning. Pic is overexposed but was the only way I could get a pic.