Help id please

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I got this coral about a week ago and was told Jason Fox Apple Berry Montipora. I am not sure that is it. From what I've heard and seen in other images, it looks like it should have blue polyps near the base. Mine has green polyps. Maybe it morphed a little or maybe it's a different coral? Thanks for looking.

View attachment 20859

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
That is definately not appleberry. I saw one at the jason fox booth and the blue polyps are very pronounced.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;324526 said:
That is definately not appleberry. I saw one at the jason fox booth and the blue polyps are very pronounced.
I agree based on pics I've seen. I don't care that it's not an AppleBerry because I still think it looks cool, just not sure what it is.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I almost want to say its some kind of tort, but its not quite there. Maybe one of the coral vendors at MACNA can ID it.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
This one doesn't grow very tall maybe 1.5", and seems to encrust

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Think I found it. Acropora Lokani. I can double check with some coral experts at MACNA, but I think this is it. Heres a pic of a different color.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zombie. Thanks for looking into helping id this coral. I appreciate it. I am fairly certain it is not a Lokani. The Lokani looks as though it grows a little taller and that each branch branches off into multiple branches. This coral I have doesn't seem to do that. It has a single branch with a single polyp on the tip of each branch and additional polyps on the base. I am wondering if those will grow into a short branch as well. Though this frag is small so once it grows out, it will probably be easier to tell what it is and it very well could be a Lokani. I would certainly appreciate the opinions of some of the experts at MACNA. Unfortunately I will not be attending. I ran out of money and don't want to tempt myself any more :) my credit cards are now frozen haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Could it be an acropora caroliniana?

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I bought mine from jason fox directly andas it grows mine lost the blue and has a ton of pieces 1_2"

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Both of those are deepwaters of some sort. I highly doubt that they are montipora at all - the nodules on Appleberry Monti do not have corallites or polyps.

Check out Suharsonoi, but the length of the branches will vary a lot depending on lighting.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'd say it looks more like the Mr. Yuck. We'll see how it grows out. Thanks for the help.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Who did you get it from? I have traded several pieces of Jason Fox Mr Yuck locally.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I did get it locally but they got it from Jason Fox and that was what he was told. Maybe there was a mix up or something. No big deal, I love the coral and honestly didn't know what the AppleBerry was before hand anyway so I would have bought it no matter what it was called. Just trying to figure out what it is so I put it in the right spot in my tank. It has shown growth where I placed it now, just not sure if it will table out. If it does, then I would like to move it now before it gets stuck to the rock :)

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Craigar;325319 said:
I bought mine from jason fox directly andas it grows mine lost the blue and has a ton of pieces 1_2"
Thanks Craigar. Check out this image of a Mr. yuck Colony...
[attachment=67641:name]

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
It won't likely table. It will grow into a colony, though. You can use other deepwaters as examples.

You can call it a unknown green deepwater.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
So, if it is a deep water, would placing it mid level almost directly under my Kessil be ok for lighting? It seems to like where it is right now as it is showing new growth.