Help Me build my APEX setup

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've been running my 60g cube for nearly a year and a half and have always wanted to have an APEX to run it and help prevent any disasters. Now that it's getting full, my concern of a problem is always on my mind.

That being said, I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to controllers and am looking for some help.

I currently have the following equipment:

ATI dimmable light fixture
2x Vortec mp10wES
Battery Backup
Tunze Osmolator ATO
ViaAqua titanium heater
BRS deluxe carbon reactor
Eshopps skimmer
Bubble Magus dosing pump
Return pump

1 power head in the sump for flow where dosing lines come in

I plan on ordering this local but am looking online to build an equipment list. To control all equipment, would I be fine with the following??

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/apex-controller-with-standard-ph-probe-neptune-systems.html

Or

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/apex-controller-gold-system-neptune-systems.html

My concern with the first package is that I don't really pay attention to PH. I focus on Alk, Ca, and Mag. Is the PH probe necessary?

Is it better to purchase items separately and build what you want vs. a package?

I'd like to have a leak detection module so that would be additional, correct?

Do these items have wifi capability?? The tank is nowhere near my witless router and cannot be hard wired in. How does this work?

OVERWHELMED!!!! I appreciate any help you all can provide!

Thanks!

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'd probably roll with the 1st package, salinity probes are sketchy at best. PH probe isn't running up your price in the first pack, just nice to have. I think the lab grade might be overkill.

You'll want the ALD module for sure, and then upto 4 detectors - additional cost.

Also, count the number of plugs you'll need to control, you'll possibly be looking at a second EB8 or an EB4. I might be selling an EB4 here shortly...

I know there's an inexpensive way to get it to talk to wi-fi, haven't done it myself.

Your basement finished, or no? Might be easier to wire in than you think...

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Help Me build my APEX setup

I think I'll need a second EB4 to plug everything into.

I'm thinking I would only need 1-2 leak detectors given the area below the stand is small.

Regarding the wifi... My tank is upstairs in my office. The Internet comes in and the router is on the main level. I had Comcast out on Friday to install X1 and they confirmed it can't be relocated since our home phone is hooked into it. I don't have a phone jack in the office.

Is ORP important to monitor as well??

I'm also assuming a WXM module is needed for the MP10's??

Last edited by a moderator:

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Last edited by a moderator:

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I dont think you need an extra eb4, or eb8, you don't apear to have that many outlets, the vortecs don't use a outlet on the apex, the wrx controls them from any standard outlet. Not sure on the ATI, My diy LED's run on one outlet that conects to a seperate power strip, and the VDM controls the rest. Dosing pump, this have its own controller? If so, It wont hook up to the apex either, unless you want it to completely shut it down for a safety. As far as the network, you could use a wireless adapter, although I don't know which works best, Zombie might give some insight on this, but you could use a powerline adapter I would think.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
My Apex is in my basement, my display is on my main floor, and my wireless router is on the 2nd floor in my office. I bought a Netgear WNCE2001 that connects everything together. I am by no means super tech savvy, but I managed to get it all to work. The only tricky part is the initial setup requires the Netgear adapter to be directly connected to the router, then you can unplug the ethernet cable but not the power cable to the Netgear. I just have a 75 foot Ethernet cable that I run from the modem to the adapter when I needed to set it up and when I needed to update the firmware. I think my performance improved when I bought a WiFi range extender that is plugged in near my display and the Netgear adapter. Now I use Apex Fusion to monitor everything and it works very well.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had the same issue with wifi. I got the adapter Munch linked. Easy setup and I haven't had a problem with it yet (it has been setup about a month). You need something like this to get it networked.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
This is what you want. A second EB4 or EB8 is not necessary unless you want room for future expansion (like adding cooling fans, redundant heaters, etc) since the vortechs can be plugged into a wall outlet.

1. Apex with standard pH probe.

2. Breakout box and some float switches (so you can add a failsafe to the ATO)

3. WXM module (allows apex to direct your vortech modes throughout the day)

4. Wireless bridge. Your best bets are the two below.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear...idge/1002457.p?id=1218207316028&skuId=1002457

Or

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear...with-ethernet-port/2733324.p?id=1218349687077

Conductivity is nice to have, but the readings are kinda sketchy sometimes. Makes a good failsafe for ATO, but not necessary by any means. Orp is basically useless. If you watch the readings for long enough to get a solid trend, it can indicate if a fish dies, you severely overfed the tank, or your skimmer is overflowing into the tank, but not with any real certainty.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Agree, go with the standard probes, neptune probes suck even the lab grade ones, when the stadard probes start giving you trouble look into getting milwakee probes, they work much better and last longer.
You will need a wxm box as well
I use a netgear for the wirless connection works great, although have to pull the base unit off and connect to my comp to do updates to it, but the wireless part works flawless and no issues so far here.
I'd also say to not waste your time with EB4s, just get the EB8s, even if you dont use all the plugs right off the bat, you likely will at some point and end up having to buy another EB8 anyway.

JoshHill83

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
You are welcome to come take a look at mine if you want to see what your set up could look like. I have the same dosing pump and reactor on my 90 with just one EB8 and the ALD with 2 probes. I have the conductivity (salinity) module and honestly that was a waste of money. I like having the ph probe, though I don't pay a ton of attention to it. It isn't necessary to have everything in the energy bars, but I am leaning toward getting everything on my tanks on EB8s. I also use a netgear wireless adapter and it was pretty easy to set up.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
SynDen;336835 said:
Agree, go with the standard probes, neptune probes suck even the lab grade ones, when the stadard probes start giving you trouble look into getting milwakee probes, they work much better and last longer..
+1 as long as you get a double junction probe. The BRS lab grade probe is really good as well because it is a double junction probe, which basically quadruples its lifespan and holds calibrarion MUCH better.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks everyone. I'm going to start piecing this all together