• Sony SLT-A55

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
A few months back I posted a thread about which gadget to get. Well I have decided to pick up a DSLR camera and will be getting it this weekend. I have been planning on getting a Nikon D5100 but upon further review there are 2 other really good contenders so now I am stuck.

Of course I want something that is going to take amazing photos but I also want my camera to take great videos as well. I know I know, if I want great videos get a camcorder but for now I want the best (as possible) of both worlds wrapped into a DSLR body.

I am a amateur, hell, call me a noob when it comes to photography but I am really good with electronics and pick up on them fast. I am also familiar with post processing and and good with lightroom, photoshop, premier and after effects.

So here are my 3 choices and what I have gathered their strengths and weaknesses to each other. I will mainly touch base on the video differences since I somewhat know about video and nothing about still captures.

Nikon D5100 - In Depth Review
Pros: Continuous auto-focus during movie recording
Cons: Horrible menu navigation

Canon Rebel T3i - In Depth Review
Pros: Records 60fps in 720 (great for post processing so I can do slow motion video without glitching!)
Cons: No auto focus during recording (will this be huge while recording my aquarium?)

Sony SLT-A55 - In Depth Review
Pros: Continuous shooting at 10fps (will I really use this shooting aquariums?)
Supposedly the best of the 3 for video recording
Cons: Swivel for the screen is at the bottom instead of the side (I have a feeling this will bug the crap out of me)

So anymore insight from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Please cast your vote and tell me why you voted on that particular camera. Please also give me some pro's and cons with each camera so I can edit this post with more info!

I am leaning towards the Canon now but opinions will be much appreciated! Budget is around $900

thanks!

Mini T

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I like Canon, and don't mind the lack of AF for video. But there are some rebel firmware hacks to give you some features that upper end canons have.

Mckibbonator

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm a fan of nikon since their lenses are made with a better quality glass (the longer glass is "cooked" the clearer it gets, nikon "cooks" their glass longer than cannon and sony), thus it lets in more light which is good for under water stuff and low light conditions. That's one of the reasons their lenses are more expensive. Another good thing about their lenses is that all the lenses ever made for nikon cameras fit on modern nikon camera. I have a d60 (I think it's been discontinued and the D5100 is the replacement for it) and I love it. I use it for aquarium photography on a regular basis. I have no experience when it comes to video capabilities on DSLR, so I can only give you advice on the brand.

Mckibbonator

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Another good pice of advice when picking a DSLR for under water photography is to go to a dive photography gallery (physical of online). They often post what camera was used to take the photo. I find allot of people use nikon D100, nikon D200, nikon D300, nikon D3, nikon D3x, cannon EOS 1Ds, and cannon ESO 10Ds. Those are all last years models, so I'm not sure what people use today.

Mini T

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mckid, quit spreading rumors like that unless your going to post a link supporting it. I've shot both, but now canon and have NEVER heard that from top nikon pros. I mean Pulitzer winners...

Mckibbonator

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I can't give you a link since I heard it from one of the photographers in this reef photography gallery that was at the smithsonian for a little while. It was two years ago, so I don't remember the name of the guy. He seemed credible since he had some of his work in there.

Mini T

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Photo guys make up stuff all the time to sound important. I can tell you that the mtf charts are great for many brands of lenses and both nikon and canon have some that are tops in different categories. German glass is usually the good stuff and expensive!

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have no freaking clue, never even took a picture with a DSLR.... I am however going with our resident PRO brent ward !

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Brent, can I get by with a macro lense like so for really good macro shots of my aquarium or do I really need something more like this? What should I be looking for in regards to macro photography? Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I am getting good equipment. If you can recommend a affordable macro lens for the canon it would be greatly appreciated.

Mini T

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
In my opinion the 50 2.5 is the best bang for the buck lens. But you won't get half life-size unless it's close to the glass. It all depends on how big your enlarging. If it's for web only, then crop into it to achieve larger magnification. The lens has a ton of resolution, so the detail will be there. On fredmiranda.com or eBay you'll find it under $200 used. The 65mm is excellent has well, but more expensive. Most people opt for the 100 macro for the extra distance. I only own the 180 macro, don't use it much though. Told my assistant to grab it on a shoot the other day, and she said "what?", you don't have one. Lol, guess I should use it more.

Just checked your link, the mpe-65 is a very specialized lense. Ummfish has one. Capable of extreme magnification to 5x life size. Keep in mind 4x is a Mosquitos face full frame on a full frame camera. Also the working distance is very close.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cool, thanks for the info Brent. One last question (I hope). From talking to you when you came over to my house a while ago you said that you used filters to capture your corals. What do I need to get in order to capture the "glow" (as human eye perceives it) corals have under actinics? Every time I try to take a picture with my point and shoot with blue light the coral is photographed washed out in blue and its true colors dont photograph.

Mini T

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Trade secret, rangerbob asks me all the time and I still haven't broke down. :)

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
hehehehehehe

Mckibbonator

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Circular polarizers help with glare on glass, so do uv haze filters.

Mini T

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Polarizers yes, uv filters are great for protecting the lens front from damage. But they don't do much.

Mckibbonator

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I heard that there's a colored jelly out there that help with arctinic lights, you ever heard of it brent? The only thing I have done to limit blue is use the polarizer, use the shade white balance, and edit some of the blue out with a photo editing soft ware. I don't like editing my photos, so would you be interested in anything in exchange for your secret anti blue filter?

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
i know nothing about dlsr's i have heard alot of good about nikon so thats what i have been looking at but i have question for you ...why not just get a used d5000 off Craigslist some come with lenses and filters for great prices ....what does the d5100 offer you that you can't get from the 5000?
also there is some good prices on the d70 and d90's

Mini T

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm a big fan of buying used. Except lenses. Lenses hold their value very well if they are the pro versions.