Help! Sanding. polishing a acrylic aquarium

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would not go lower than 1500, and not jump more than 300. So you could do 1000, 1200, 1500. If you do to 2000, you would need to do 1800 first. Otherwise you are wasting your time with a sanding step, as you won't get the prior step out.

Make sure that when you change directions, you are not seeing anything from the prior sanding. So for example, if you did 400 horizontal, you need to do 600 vertical and make sure there is no horizontal scratch visible.

I'm not sure on the Novus step 3, that could be the case. I would go with the opinion of someone more experienced than me (maybe jahmic knows?). I've never heard that before.

OK, since you have a bigger tank, I WOULD recommend a random orbital sander for sanding (just switch to novus and buffing by hand after). You will get the best results, better than doing it by hand, and it will go faster. If you decide to, I would call Tom at Aquamart and ask him if he can sell you the same pack of orbital sander pads that he sold Dave in Stapleton. The pads are very hard to find, unless you order in bulk online (very expensive), but Tom is the Denver based acrylic manufacturer and suggested this approach to me when he came to my house to look at the damage to my tank. My tank looks amazing after having to start at 150 grit in some areas...I probably could have gone higher than 1500 but I don't see that the tank could look any clearer.

You will need to tape the edge/corners that are on the adjacent wall to the section you are sanding. You should use aluminum duct tape. You will also need to be consistent/steady but not push too hard (let the sander do the work), and do a complete pane without lifting the pad (back/forth) if possible...and set the tank on the floor to make it easier if you can. Or sit inside of it (like I did for my 200G).

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
ok forgot to say that you need a sander that is hook & loop and i believe 5" for the discs that Tom has (ask him to confirm the size, or get them first and take them to the store to buy the sander).

Dang i went back and read the thread. It said Novus 3 is equal to 6000 grit not 600..

SO i guess i will go back do the 600-800-1000-1500-2000 then Novus 3 then Novus 2. Hows that look?

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ah ok makes sense on novus. So yes, I would do step 3 if I were you.

Unfortunately there's no shortcut. If you aren't going to do 1200...1500...1800...etc, then you may as well just stop at 1000 and live with the scratches that are left...because the 1500-2000 will be wasting your time.

It took me 6 hours to go from 400 to 1500 with a random orbital then novus. By hand all the way, it probably would have taken me 2-3x as long to get the same result.

Ok, I would like to hear more. Seems like 1000-1500-2000 would be fine. Most threads i have seen from other sites most people go from 1000 then 2000 and they came out great. Do agree i was probably jumping to high from 400-1000..

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you see people out there that tried it and liked the results, give it a shot.

Thanks Dave you helped a lot. I appreciate your feedback.. I picked up some 800 and 1500 last night. SO i'm going to try 600-800-1000-1500-2000-Novus 3- Novus 2.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
well others on the board helped me, so you're really thanking them! i think you'll be really surprised that it will come out great. again you just need to make sure you get out the prior grit totally before stepping up (especially make sure the 600 pulls out any previous sanding)...so take your time...otherwise you'll have to redo steps...

i look forward to hearing how it turned out!

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
How'd it turn out?

Ahhshoot

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is using PlastX harmful for the fish/corals? If it is used, how good do you rinse the inside of the tank?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've really only seen that people use Novus without any ill effects to marine life in a tank. But if you're going to vinegar wash after using plastx, assuming it doesn't interact with vinegar there's probably no harm. You could either fill the tank with water/vinegar and let it run, or use a flannel rag soaked in vinegar then towel dry.

Ahhshoot

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is there any specific amount of vinegar to water ratio or can I dump a whole jar of vinegar in the 180?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
are you going to fill it all the way up and let it run? you could do a gallon or two of vinegar if so.

if you're just washing down the sides, to get the cleaner product off, I would just get as much off as possible with water, then rag/vinegar, then water again to make sure the product is out and removed as much as possible. residual vinegar is not going to cause any problems in the tank.

Plastx is probably no better or worse than novus. I used plastx and just washed the tank really good with soap and water. The tank has been running for months with no effects. For anyone who doesnt know you can get an automotive buffer from harbor freight for relatively cheap. The drill buffers are useless (tried that route first). Looks great after sanding and then buffing.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Great tip on plastx subpotentjoe, thanks. Agreed on drill buffers, they caused serious issues for me.

Personally I would never use soap for cleaning my system.