Help setting up a refugium

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
This is how my refugium sits today but I want to do more with it.

I have sand I can add as well as crushed live rock. My only concern is the detritus buildup around the rocks as I'm starting in on some sps with this tank. I have two large pieces now with red dragon macro glued to them.
I added phyto feast from algabarn last week, can see them at night in display.
Any thoughts?

scotty b

Butterfly Fish
I think to get the full effect of the refugium, adding some faster growing macro would help.
the faster growing it is the more nutrients it wicks up to produce mass .

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I forgot to add I had added chaeto to the refuge last week and it promptly dispersed everywhere instead of balling up.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
scotty b;330511 said:
I think to get the full effect of the refugium, adding some faster growing macro would help.
the faster growing it is the more nutrients it wicks up to produce mass .

the only thing faster than red dragon is caulerpa....

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;330513 said:
It's already doubled since I picked it up. Added it to the dt as well and seen a huge pods jump from that.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
scotty b;330516 said:
hmm my dragons breath grows slow compared to my cheto and caulerpa
red dragon and dragon's breath are not the same.... People need to stop confusing the 2....

and as I said above....

sethsolomon;330513 said:

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Back to te question...should I add more rock to it, crush rock, sand, ect. Or just leave the big pieces in the way it is?

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'd skip the sand personally. Seems to be more of a mess than anything. The rock will be sufficient. Easy to clean up any excess detritus buildup.

Munch;330527 said:
I'd skip the sand personally. Seems to be more of a mess than anything. The rock will be sufficient. Easy to clean up any excess detritus buildup.

I run a DSB now in my fuge, noticed it works a lot better since I added a sand sifting star, some nassarius snails and hermits down there, definitely keeps the sand clean and my tank looks amazing, 0 algae problems

Hodge Podge

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hopefully the chaeto that you picked up will work for you this time! Great to meet you!