Help with my DIY project

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I've been working on my new build and have made some progress. I am now at the point where I could use some help with building the doors for the tank stand that I put together. Looking for some ideas/advice. I don't own a table router or anything like that and was wondering if there was another way of building the doors without these types of tools. not looking for anything fancy. "Shaker" style doors would look good here I think. Please share your ideas/opinions.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I have built quick doors before by just making a face frame that can be assembled with pocket screws. Just run the styles and rails (outside frame pieces) through a table saw on edge to carve out a 1/4" slot for some cheepo 1/4" plywood panel. Assemble the outside frames around that 1/4" plywood, screw the styles and rails together with the pocket screws. Use automotive bondo to fill all of the holes. Sand that smooth, prime, and paint. Another more simple option is to nail the 1/4" ply on the back side of the framework. Then, you don't need to cut out the grove for the plywood to sit in. That's more simple, but will look a little less professional on the back side.

A pocket screw jig is an awesome addition to a DIY kit. They can be relatively cheap and I use mine almost every day. They're definitely cheeper than what you would spend on a router, bits, and table. You might be able to buy one at the local hardware store but Rockler woodworking is sure to have them. They're on Colorado south of Denver. You'd be best to buy a small kit with jig, driver, and clamp. Don't forget the screws.

Just an idea. Works well for quick and cheep painted doors.

I can post up pics if you're not following what I'm suggesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can cut the doors so they fit inside the opening. The trim them out so the trim goes over the seams. Fast and looks slick.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Try a picture frame cabinet, thats what I am doing now. And instead of hinges I am just using magnets, so the doors can just be snapped on and off when I need to get to the ATO cabinet or the power outlet cabinet, I feel like the swinging doors on my old stand just got in the way.

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Definitely some good ideas here guys! Thanks for the input. I personally don't mind the open look of the cabinet but either but I am being "encouraged" to cover up the "mess" lol

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
You could do similar to what I am going to do for skirts on my stand and just use a flat white panel with some magnets behind it to hold in place and make for easy removal. Makes for nice clean look with a white stand, and pretty simple to build/install