HELP!

cent36

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I just bought this rainbow nem today and rushed straight home and acclimated him for about an hour and a half then released him into my qt tank by himself. He first floated and we went out for dinner. I got home and he was out and about and stuck to the side wall. Watched elf and now he is like this....
View attachment 22118 View attachment 22119 View attachment 22120
I filled the qt with water from the main tank which is the same I used to acclimate. Just tested two days ago and params were all normal and temp is the same with salinity at 1.026. Everything else is looking good and colorful and eating

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
IMO it's stressed trying to find someplace secure to attach where it's happy...their feet usually inflate like that when they're on the move. What are you running for flown and filtration on that QT, and how large is the tank? I find that, whether you acclimate or not, they tend to produce a lot of mucus on introduction and settle down quicker if there is a bit more flow in the tank. I usually turn the flow low until they attach, then turn it up and let them wander as needed.

As an aside...I don't acclimate my nems. I just drain the old water and leave the nem in an acclimation box by itself, give it a rinse in a bucket of my tank water, then place it in the tank. I haven't lost one by skipping acclimation...the worst that's happened is that I've had a few split within the first week from the stress :p If you acclimated for an hour in the bag without flow...it's probably just annoyed. Make sure you have good flow, run some carbon, and do a small water change if that QT tank is a low volume. Since that's just a sterile QT with some tank water in there...may want to also considering aerating the water with a stone til it settles down in case pH is an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you really need to qt nems. I acclimate mine but most should be able to handle no acclimation. When I put them in my tank it never wants to attach to anything right away. So I stick it in a hole in a rock or something, foot first and hold it there until it attaches. That seems to make them happy the fastest.

cent36

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So this morn i got up and he was attached to the bottom but even smaller than those pics. Can't tell but looks like it's mouth is wide open and something hanging out. It is still moving slightly. I know I didn't need to QT but as it is my first nem I wanted to be safe. I don't want to put it in my DT if it's going to melt down and destroy everything. Everything I have read said to wait a couple of days but i can't help feel likei am causing it to suffer in some way.
I know everyone is saying it's somewhat normal, but i have never seen any other animal changes appearance so drastically!

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If it has tenticles still, then it is probably fine. Just give it a few days. It should start to open when you turn the light on.

cent36

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So that tank was originally a kalkwsser tank. It has been washed and rinsed multiple times and I originally scraped or all the buildup

cent36

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I bit the bullet and am hoping for the best. I moved it into my DT. Immediately there was a color change from brown to green and it held on to the rock I placed it on. It has since moved a little. Keep fingers crossed! I just don't want it to nuke my tank

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks good but that marron looks too big to host the nem, I'd be worried that the clown will smother the Nem. Marrons are aggressive lovers

JNG

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I never even heard of a caramel clown before. Although they are cross breeding so much now, I may be behind on stuff like that. Your anemone looks good, I hope it does just fine.