Hi from Wyoming.

Hello all,

I just found this site through RC. I was really hoping for a SW club somewhere in Wyoming but apparently the hobby doesn't have much of a following up here.

I do not have a tank set up yet, I got a pretty good deal on a 140 gal tank here in town, dude had an alligator in it, but I think maybe I bit off more than I could chew. It's 6ft long and really doesn't fit in my house well at all. And I think maybe that size tank may be beyond my budget to set up and operate. So before I set anything up I will be getting rid of it in favor of a 75 to 90 gal.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to aquariums. I've always wanted a reef tank but with my career (trucker) I never had the time to care for one. Now I'm out of the trucking business, and with more time to spare I wanna give it a go.

So far I've collected the big tank, a 29 and a 20 long. Thats it. Hopefully in the next year or so I'll get all the other important things and continue learning what I need to know to make this first tank a success. Be prepared for stupid questions, and a lot of them!!

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome aboard.
Keep the bigger tank. Most new reefers start small and increase the size of the tank
in less than six months. Bigger tanks are more stable anyway hehe.

Thanks for the welcomes

I dunno about keeping the big tank. Its awfully big and I'm having trouble locating it where I can get to sumps, pumps, skimmers etc. Also as I said, the cost may be prohibitive.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome, I agree with keeping the bigger tank. I already want to go 200+. Take your time gathering supplies, keep an eye out for used pumps and supplies. Patience and research are key. What are you looking for, better yet what do you have? What are you looking at keeping? FO, FOWLR, Reef(mixed, SPS dominant, LPS dominant, softie dominant)? Just stuff to think about.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

rockys_pride;88598 said:
Welcome, I agree with keeping the bigger tank. I already want to go 200+. Take your time gathering supplies, keep an eye out for used pumps and supplies. Patience and research are key. What are you looking for, better yet what do you have? What are you looking at keeping? FO, FOWLR, Reef(mixed, SPS dominant, LPS dominant, softie dominant)? Just stuff to think about.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
I'm not real sure of what, exactly, I would like to keep. So far all my research has been in the mechanical side of the tank. Plumbing, skimmers, pumps and such. As far as corals, I know I havent seen many that I would turn my nose up at. But I also know that different corals require different conditions, so to start out I would probly stick with what is easiest for a beginner to care for and work my way up from there as my knowledge and experience warrant. As far as fish, my wife has already said she wants a "Nemo". No negotiations. And we're both really taken with Tangs, although If I downsize the tank that may not be an option.

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome...

If you have a basement that you are already planning a sump in, just use the large tank as the sump. This will keep your display tank very stable and give you space in the sump to make a frag tank area or a very larger refugium. The more volume you have in the system the more stable the system will be.

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome It would be nice to keep the big tank but if you could sell it and get funds to find a used set up on craigslist well 1 bullet and many gains! I guess its the hustler in me! Also there's no stupid question when starting this hobby!

Thank you for all the welcomes. I'm just glad to find a place a bit closer to home.

I been thinking about it all night and I pretty sure the 140's gonna go up for sale to fund a smaller tank. I live in a mobile home (I'm not a redneck.... no really I'm not!!) and I simply dont have a wall space large enough to house it and still get my furniture(and lets not forget the TV) in the same room. Also I worry About the weight. I know I could shore up the flooring, but the only realistic places are running parallel to the floor joists....not good. I think I would be much better off with a shorter(the 140 is 72in. long) lighter tank. I bought the 140 on a whim, because it was there and I had the cash...didnt put a lot of thought into what I was gonna do with it, just wanted a tank. Now I'm faced with the harsh reality of logistics, and it aint quite workin out.

It'll be a while before I can post a build thread, I have several other hobbies that are competing for the same limited resources (why cant I like collecting bottle caps or something cheap?) so none of them really advance as fast as I'd like.