Coral Reservoir Bank

Colored Sticks

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I wanted to gauge interest from our local group on being apart of this. I have already signed up to be apart of this as the hub for CO and wanted to see if other would like to join in. Please read all the details on link below. Currently it is mainly acros and working towards LPS. I would be willing to handle the shipping portions of these exchanges.

Mission statement:
Help in the sustainability and survivability of a coral strain.

By distributing frags in multiple qualified systems, we increase the strains survival chances in this hobby.

There will be 3 benefits from participating in the program.

1- If one day the original coral colony died, we have reservoir in another system(survivability)

2- We help reefers here diversify their livestock, help new reefers build their reef without breaking the (keep in mind this is not just about giving/receiveing free frags, ita about survivability and sustainability of hobby coral)

3- Be part of making this hobby sustainable.

Disclaimer: This Idea originally was proposed by Richard Ross a while back. I am just in love with this idea and want to give it a shot here.

Tenet:
This program will be free, it will never be a bait to collect fees or push hidden agendas.

If you get on my banks, you are expected to follow the rules I have on each bank thread. Usually I ask for a journal to make sure your system is suitable, I also ask for you to never sell rather grow, frag and give to someone else in this forum. I do this so we do not effect online retailer as that’s their business.

The idea here is: Whoever want to participate in the program with an offering of their own, should open a thread where he/she describe their offering, their rules and based on the sign up to the thread award a frag.

Since this is online forum after all, it will be honor system. there might be abuses down the line but do not let it make you lose faith. i believe the good will be more than the bad on the long run.

Asking for journals, making sure the user is active and known in the forum will be one of the ways that you can protect your investments a bit..thats what i do at least.

Make sure to include a table in your original post so you can track recipients(see pic)

This will be an experiment for now, I do not know how it will shape up. especially for out of state users, but worth giving it a shot.

More details can be found here:
https://humble.fish/community/index.php?forums/coral-reservoir-bank.110/

Terry Fox

Cleaner Shrimp
Sounds kinda like a GARF type deal.
I remember sending Sally Jo a neon green leather in 2002 to propagate so the corals could be reseeded in Fuji because the water there had gotten too warm to sustain the natural species and the thought was aquarium breed coral would be hardier than natural reef coral.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Its not a bad idea. We had a similar thought a few years ago to establish a MASC program for this but we had thought to have a couple designated MASC tanks that you could put a frag in as a 'backup', but we got stuck on who/how to manage these tanks long term

Last edited by a moderator:

Colored Sticks

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Its not a bad idea. We had a similar thought a few years ago to establish a MASC program for this but we had thought to have a couple designated MASC tanks that you could put a frag in as a 'backup', but we got stuck on who/how to manage these tanks long term
I think it is a great idea, and to be Frank there isn't much activity locally right now to make it sustainable on a local level only. Also sounds like those details have been established and just need to work on the execution.

Let me know if you want to participate in it.

Colored Sticks

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sounds kinda like a GARF type deal.
I remember sending Sally Jo a neon green leather in 2002 to propagate so the corals could be reseeded in Fuji because the water there had gotten too warm to sustain the natural species and the thought was aquarium breed coral would be hardier than natural reef coral.
It is basically the same but a larger than local scale.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I like it. I feel like this is kinda the idea behind our DBTC program. I know I’ve given frags to tons of people and taken from many. I’ve also reached out when I’ve lost ones that I’ve given out and given back to others that have lost corals.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

Colored Sticks

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
It is a very similar in DBTC program and maybe I am just not in the loop but the activity seems really low in that current local program. This is also a chance to get different pieces that aren't as frequent in CO. So just gauging interest and I can put stuff in the DBTC program here after receiving from this other group.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
It is a very similar in DBTC program and maybe I am just not in the loop but the activity seems really low in that current local program. This is also a chance to get different pieces that aren't as frequent in CO. So just gauging interest and I can put stuff in the DBTC program here after receiving from this other group.
Our biggest problem with the forum and our DBTC program is that so much traffic has moved over to FB. FB doesn’t allow the sale or trade of live animals. If we can get something like this going with a little momentum we might be able to shift more traffic back here.

Colored Sticks

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Our biggest problem with the forum and our DBTC program is that so much traffic has moved over to FB. FB doesn’t allow the sale or trade of live animals. If we can get something like this going with a little momentum we might be able to shift more traffic back here.

Yeah I agree. It is hard to get the ball rolling as you need a group of like 5-6 to really transition over. I can pilot this other program and add them ( corals) here in the forum under DBTC, but need to show interest from locals on the Humble forum for this to work, so if you want to show interest on that page it would be helpful.