How much flow is enough?

I have a 6' X 24" X 18" tall shallow reef. Right now I have a pair of return pumps, and two WP25's in the tank. I have a mixed reef with some softies (zoas mostly), and some SPS. The WP25's are pretty powerful and mounted at opposite ends of the tank. I can easily get a wave that nearly splashes out of the tank on W1 setting at full speed. I go back and forth between that setting and the "else" setting. Else moves more water, but I almost never see my fish because the current is so strong. Is the wave action enough for SPS? I can visibly see my birds nest coral moving with that setting, and it seems more friendly to my fish. I can post a video later, but just generally looking for some opinions. Here is the tank from my build thread: http://www.marinecolorado.org/forums/showthread.php?26797-Starting-my-rimless-shallow-reef

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I personally would add some wider flow pumps.

My thought would be either pick up 2x RW-15's and sell the WP-25's or pick up 2x RW-8's to add to the Wp-25's. But I will let others chime in and post their thoughts as well.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have 2 Tunze 6105's and 2 Tunze 6095's in a 72 gallon. For a long time I had dead spots, not anymore. I would go with 4 pumps no matter what brand.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
My typical set is a wavebox (like a real box, not just a jeablow on wave mode - they are different) and a pair of 610X tunze pumps. The wave box moves way more water in/out of the corals than flow pumps ever could.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't think there is such a thing as to much flow call me crazy but stick your hand in any ocean and you will feel the power.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
How are you controlling these pumps? Did you get the dual controller or are they individual? Hooked to apex or anything?

SynDen;341310 said:
How are you controlling these pumps? Did you get the dual controller or are they individual? Hooked to apex or anything?
Just individual at the moment. It's pretty easy to dial in a solid wave (at least it has been on my system).

Andrew_bram;341306 said:
I don't think there is such a thing as to much flow call me crazy but stick your hand in any ocean and you will feel the power.
I guess my hesitation has been beating the fish up with really high flow 24/7, but then again as you pointed out, the ocean waves don't stop either.