how much lighting?

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just sold my little nano cube, and i am getting a 2x65w pc light later this week (hopefully) from dead rock. I have a 40B but I want to know if i should use some other lighting. I am open to MH, not really LED (I can't afford it) or t5 or pc, doesn't matter to me, I just want to do this tank right so I dont have to redo it in the future.

Please let me know your thoughts and if you have a setup, if you will trade it for anything.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SPS is going to require the most light. If you want to get away with that light, maybe some zoas towards the middle of the tank? That light won't have the pinch to get enough light to the sand bed for much. Maybe some NPS would work too. You could do a DIY LED from www.aquastyleonline.com for pretty cheap. Go with maybe the 72 LED dimmable kit?

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
No clue. I'm doing LEDs and that's my first light. I haven't done much research on T5 oh halides, but I would think maybe a 6 bulb T5 or 2 150w halides?

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
ok, i am kinda leaning towards the t5 or mh for now, and doing an led retrofit when i get a canopy built, but for now i just want a fixture.
What would other people suggest for mh wattage?

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Unless you have the stuff for trade, and are going to spend money up front I would just do LED. Why pay twice?

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Agreed! LEDs are the future, and will save you money in the long run. I ran a 5bulb t5 over my 55 after I switched from power compact. The PC bulbs didn't grow, and I couldn't find replacements that easily. When I did, they were expensive, and usually the place only had 1 bulb. I liked my t5, but I cost me over $100 every 9 months to rebulb, after doing that once, LED prices started dropping, so I took the plunge. My only experience with MH was I traded for 2 250 watt setup and was getting it set up over my 120gal in 2 days I had a tank temp of 82 and was running my house ac 24/7. Ditched those quick, and for a while I had my T5 and PC fixtures over the 120, but nothing was growing. Since going LED in seeing growth and AMAZING color!!