How strong of a return pump do I need?

I have been doing a lot of reading on this but haven't found a solid answer yet. I believe my overflow is an eshopps 800 and I'll be using a 10 gallon sump how strong of a return pump do I need at about 4 ft head ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The sump is 2 chamber mostly refugium. I have a Hob skimmer because of space that ill be using on the sump

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Rule of thumb is no more than 10x your display tank gph. So you fill have to add that on top of head pressure to come up with the amount of gph pump you need.

KCCO

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I shoot for 5-6x the tank size of actual flow. This will mean a bigger pump with head losses. I don't like high sump turnover.

So 10x I'm.looking at 460 gph pump with 0 head so if I went this correction I would need like a 600 gph pump to account for head loss?
Or would it be ok to just get a300 gph pump for 5x turn over? Would I want more or less flute in the sump

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Id shoot for a 400-500 gph pump. That will get you 300-400 gph after head loss. The 300 will be too low and youll get bubble formation in your overflow if its external. If its internal, a 300 gph pump is perfect for a fuge with no skimmer.

Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not make messes in the house. -robert heinlein

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ive had good luck with long term reliability with the mag series. A mag 3 or mag 5 would work well for your needs.

Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not make messes in the house. -robert heinlein

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
I personally don't like the mag pumps, too much heat added to the tank (great during winter, not great during the summer with an anti-A/C BnC). Impellers are an issue for me as well, they seem to break on my systems.

ReefCentral has a head pump applet for download on their homepage.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I like my Sicce Syncra pumps...

The Sicce Syncra Silent 2.0 Multifunction Aquarium Pump would put you at 568 GPH.

Stats: [attachment=66587:name]

Last edited by a moderator:

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a sicce syncra 2.0 Im not using, if you want to try or buy. It was my return pump before i changed to a basment sump.

Oh no worries I'm taking in all the information I can get... added heat could be an issue setting as I try not to run the a/c but that could be changed lol

And no.I haven't had the opportunity to see his tanks are they crazy cool? ( like any saltwater tank isnt lol)