How strong of a return pump do I need?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
elmotheodd;302180 said:
Is it plausible to run an external pump on a sump.That isn't drilled?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
It can be done, but I wouldnt advise it. You can easily lose siphon if your power goes out and then you will be running the pump dry, which is never good.

Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not make messes in the house. -robert heinlein

If the.power goes out won't the pump be off though so as long as I catch it I would ok right?
Is it worth drilling a 10 gallon sump....

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Personally, I would drill it. If you do want to try it, you will need 3 pvc elbows, a slip to mpt coupler that fits your pump. One end of the pvc needs to go almost to the bottom of your sump, go up to the top, u bend over it, 90 toward the pump and the mpt coupler to attach to the pump. I wouldnt even consider it with flexible. You will also need a check valve on the return so you reduce the chance that you will lose siphon from backpressure. Make sure to test power cycles many times to make sure siphon is never lost, and you will have to prime the pump just like you would do with a hob filter.

Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not make messes in the house. -robert heinlein

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;302200 said:
Pump would be off lose siphon then power on pump on no water burnt pump
+1 spoken like a true caveman. Lol.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
elmotheodd;302180 said:
Is it plausible to run an external pump on a sump.That isn't drilled?

I ran a little giant on an undrilled sump with flexible tubing, wasn't much fun trying to prime it when I shut it off. I did this because I got the pump free and I was tired of the mag 12. Space was an issue with my setup

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Ended up getting a rio 1700 seems to be the perfect flow. Rather than mess with the external pump I ordered a submersible one.Thanks for everyone's help 300-400 gph at about4 1/2 ft head matches me overflow incredibly.