How to buy halides?

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Pm me. I know a bit. I also have some for sale. Dave at Hamilton is also very patient. Lol tell him mike from Colorado sent you. Basically, 150 watt for less than 20" of depth. 250 for 20-24" depth and 400 watt for deeper tanks.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
What Mike is suggesting should work well. I really like these 20k bulbs too. I went straight 20k 2-250 watt and 1-150 watt and my tank is 36" deep. I am only planning Gorgs though no SPS.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Balz3352;359300 said:
How much more electricity do you think you use?
Not sure. I have a basement sump and the heaters use far more power than my halides. My power consumption didn't change when I added the third as the heat from the light was welcomed. The Hamilton ballasts (electronic) are dim able. They can be run from 150 to 275 watts.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I run mine longer. I have 5 250 watt bulbs over the 360. And they are about 18" above the tank. I could have them closer but I'm happy and I can still access the tank.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
M 80 is the best but a dying breed. They use more electricity but provide more par. The electronic is silent, lights the bulb more efficiently but a tiny bit less par. Lots of arguments on this but that's what it comes down to.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Honestly if what Lemke has doesn't interest you call Dave at Hamilton and get nice polished reflectors with the appropriate sized ballasts and take out the guess work.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
What I have may not work to light the entire tank. Unless you want two towers of rock for sps and then supplement other parts of the tank with LED or something (which would be cool IMO) and have softies there. Led is superb at lighting zoa for instance. Get a Chinese box for one section.