How to buy halides?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
You have mogul(screw in) and DE (double ended). Not sure what Mike has but all of mine are DE and that's what I prefer. Mogul are good for certain kinds of bulbs but I can't speak to that.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Balz3352;359310 said:
Let's say I get mike's setup. Could I just get any 250 bulb and it will work?
Mine (that I'm selling) has mogul (screw in) with 16" reflectors and Hamilton bulbs. Not the hqi that I now have. I really changed because I got a really good deal and wanted the same three fixtures. The old luminark ballasts I am selling are actually a bit better for spread. I was using 2 on a 60x30" tank for two years. I have a pfo ballast. I'll bump my for sale thread.

Honestly I'd think about my set up and call Dave. I'd love to sell,them but would want you to buy what's best for you after doing research. I do have two sets of Hamilton bulbs that go with it. 14k that are old but good to see the color and 20 k that have a lot of life left.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Balz3352;359321 said:
What's hqi?
In most cases the double ended bulbs. Also the single ended radium bulbs that are run with a m80 ballast. 350 watts of power to a 250 watt bulb. But in most cases the double ended guys.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Radiums are the only mogul based bulbs to run from what I have read but no experience with them.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
MuralReef;359336 said:
Radiums are the only mogul based bulbs to run from what I have read but no experience with them.
Only single ended "hqi" bulbs and they are awesome... But you pay for that. Lol almost $80 a bulb

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Bulbs are expensive but you can offset the cost of bulbs with frag sales which you might not get with LEDs.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
MuralReef;359341 said:
Bulbs are expensive but you can offset the cost of bulbs with frag sales which you might not get with LEDs.
Let's not debate that. Lol but yea, better color and growth for almost all users.