How to get Green tip anemone separated from a rock

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mine split a few days ago, I picked up the rather large rock and both old and new are bunkered down and really rooted into that rock. The whole rock is proped up and in front of the skimmer, which is stronger than any maxijet. So it's in a really high flow area, but been there for an hour (lights are out since this is in my sump/fuge area) and doesn't seem to mind the flow. Any other tricks to get a rose tip anemone separated from a rock? //Dave

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Pics from the other day when it split. I should have been more concerned with seperating it vice giving it time to heal. I'm open to trades...

You can kind of see there are two. They are the same size..

Close up

cremer9

Butterfly Fish
I use my finger taking my time working the base all the way around the nem,for the really tough ones I have used a plastic spoon in the same maner working around the base being carefull not to damage the foot,I only do this if im getting the nem out of the tank,If you just want move him he will move back to where he feels comfortble in the tank.

What I do is I put an ice cube into a thin plastic bag. Then I reach down in there and rub a smooth side of the bag with the ice cube in it against it's foot for a few seconds then mine will just let go. I have also heard that just massaging the foot for a few minutes will work.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok, need to go pick up my mom and take her to church. I'll try the ice method when I come back. I've tried proding and peeling the foot back, kind of messaging it to bother it to move. No luck. The rock is pourous and they are in the holes. If the ice doesn't work, I'd hate to cut into the rock, but will. I'll seperate it off using egg crate for a few days. Thanks so much for the advice.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
you could also hold the rock above the water with the nem touching the water... it normally will let go and drop into the water..

2sweet

Butterfly Fish
Wow.....great advice, I had a rose split and the two nems stayed side by side. I've waited two months and still side by side.
I'm going to try one of these methods. Thanks guys!

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: How to get Green tip anemone separated from a rock

I tried the ice Cube didn't work. I read cold water flush removes them. I ended up putting them in a low flow area. It matters if the foot is attached or not. Which it probably is. Mr saltwater has a video on it. When mine moved I ended up massaging the rim and it was fine. Just have to be careful of the foot.

Sent from Earth

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Smiley;219891 said:
you could also hold the rock above the water with the nem touching the water... it normally will let go and drop into the water..
This is what worked. When out of the water for about 5 min, with just the crown touching the water -- when I started to pri it off with a flat head screwdriver (what I always use for zoa fragging) it came off the rock very easily.

I tried the ice and it retracted even more in the hole. I tried prodding, and messaging, but it would retract, but not move. I had it in front of the strong flow for more than two hours, and that didn't make it want to move either. When I would try and pri it off with the screw driver before, it would fight seperating and seemed to attach to the rock even more. Survival with it being out of water was the motivation it needed.

Phew, now I'll do a seperate post for trading. Thanks again everyone.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Smiley;219891 said:
Crazy, I've never had this work once for me. :(

DyM;219916 said:
This is what worked. When out of the water for about 5 min, with just the crown touching the water -- when I started to pri it off with a flat head screwdriver (what I always use for zoa fragging) it came off the rock very easily.

I tried the ice and it retracted even more in the hole. I tried prodding, and messaging, but it would retract, but not move. I had it in front of the strong flow for more than two hours, and that didn't make it want to move either. When I would try and pri it off with the screw driver before, it would fight seperating and seemed to attach to the rock even more. Survival with it being out of water was the motivation it needed.

Phew, now I'll do a seperate post for trading. Thanks again everyone.
Glad it worked for you!! I use one of those dental pics (with a dulled pick end) to gently get under the foot if it's accessible. Only takes me a minute or so to have the whole nem off the rock. I've had some with feet all the way in the center of the rock though. I've had to destroy some rocks to get them out as NOTHING else worked. :(

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Smiley;219891 said:
I tried that when I tore my LR down to catch the fish. That Nem would NOT let go, even after a good hour hovering in a bucking, dangling into the water. Guess my RBT's are stubborn.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
ok, to be clear -- The nem didn't "let go" as much as I was able to pri it off. I can only describe it as easy as fragging zoa's off a rock, you start small and then they peel off. Before taking the nem out of the water, it wouldn't let me peel it.... and didn't want to hurt it. After it was in the air, peeled right off, like a zoa.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Cool, I'll try that.