How well can coral travel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrobinson86

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am still new to the reef tank world, I am curious as to how long you can travel with corals before they would die? I live in Grand Junction right now but am heading up to Denver for some live rock purchase, I wouldn't mind possibly attending the DBTC Swap, just wont be able to bring anything, but would enjoy looking at everything and learning more. If I were to find somebody to purchase some corals from I am curious as to how well they would travel from Denver to Grand Junction.

Any input would be great. Only looking for beginner corals, not sure I am ready for the hard stuff yet.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Easier corals make transportation concerns pretty negligible IMO. As long as the coral is placed in a sufficient amount of water and kept at a stable temperature...you shouldn't have any issues. Most of us use some sort of insulated cooler to transport corals. Keep in mind that most of the stuff in our tanks is shipped halfway across the globe before it ever gets here...given the somewhat warm temps forecasted for Saturday, I wouldn't be too concerned with moving anything across the state.

FWIW...I've come home with frags in pee cups, floated them, had a beer...some dinner...then went to bed and fell asleep before getting the coral in my tank. A bit forgetful... :p It's happened more than a few times (most recently with a rock nem), and I've never lost a coral that way.

Stop by the meeting if you can...there's usually more than enough to go around and people rarely leave empty-handed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.