1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

I am ****ed off! Utter chaos and seductions?????????????????

Discussion in 'Zoanthids and Palythoa' started by MartinsReef, Jul 6, 2015.

1. MartinsReef

MartinsReef Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

So many of you know that I have a nano tank (ADA60P) 90% dedicated to Zoas. I have many that are doing well. However, Utter and Seductions seem to fizz out on me. I have now lost 30+ polyps between the two. No Seductions and only two Utters left. they start to take off and then just melt away. What gives? I AM SICK OF SPENDING MONEY ON THESE!

Temp 78.9
    Salinity 1.25
    PH 8.3
    Ca 400
    Kh 1200
    Mag 1400

???????????????????????????
    MARTIN

2. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Cuttle Fish M.A.S.C Club Member

FYI, I've had the same luck...never been able to keep them.

3. MartinsReef

it Sucks!!!

4. aztecdreams

aztecdreams Sardine M.A.S.C Club Member

Do they all come from the same stock?

5. MartinsReef

No, I have got them from three different vendors and two different club members.

6. Munch

Munch Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

Some **** just doesn't grow, I've run across that with certain zoas....

7. MartinsReef

8. Highway66

Highway66 Prawn M.A.S.C Club Member

What is your alkalinity measurements. I keep mine arou d 130 ppm, so im trying to figure out the conversion.

I wanted to compare because Im no zoa expert but i have the opposite probem. I can grow seductions like no ones business, but alot of others tend to flop on me. All your other numbers are close to mine.

Now it sounds like i need to get me some utter chaos, lol.

9. MartinsReef

Dkh is 12 whatever that means.

10. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

That's pretty high! Not totally outside the norm bit high. I go for 8 or so. 10 is the top end of what most people do. Stability is more important than the number of corse.

11. MartinsReef

Old test kit!!! will test again with new test tomorrow. Stupid hanna tester keeps saying error! It probably just me!

12. Highway66

Highway66 Prawn M.A.S.C Club Member

So im running on the very low end of alk at about 7.3 dkh converted, so maybe thats something to look at, keeping your alk a little lower?

13. Walter White

Walter White Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

130ppm = 7.28 dkh

.056 is the conversion

14. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

+1 but also consider that highend zoas can be very picky and some just wont grow in some tanks. No particular reason why either. They can grow great in one tank, then move them to another tank that is setup basically the same way and they melt

15. MartinsReef

Ugh! I give up.

16. FinsUp

FinsUp According to my watch, the time is now. M.A.S.C Club Member

Step back, have yourself a vodka & prune juice, and maybe start lowering your alk level. Slowly (not that I need to tell you this, Senor Slowpoke). Then take one more run at those specific zoas. If they just won't grow in your tank, then they're obviously allergic to you, and you can't have them. There's plenty of other ones to choose from. I'm sure someone here will give you a lovely colony of nuclear holocaust or yellow polyps to fill your tank with. Cloves are also a great choice, if you're looking for something a little different than the zoas for some contrast.

17. MartinsReef

GOOD NEW! 1.) alk level is 9, says new Salifert test kit! 2.) Found two polyps of Utter Chaos today attached to some live rock and one floating around, which I had no idea it was an Utter Chaos until I glued it to a frag! so I have four UC in all. I think there is a crab pulling Zoas and Palys off of plugs! That is five different zoas now ! have found floating around in a week.

18. FinsUp

FinsUp According to my watch, the time is now. M.A.S.C Club Member

That crab has caviar taste!

19. MartinsReef

Little bastards!

20. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

:rofl: