90 Gallon “Living Vicariously” Build

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Picked up a fixer upper from a hobbyist getting out today.

90 gallon tank
Sump
2mp40
1x Radion XR30W
1x dc jaebo return pump
Plumbing
100lbs assorted dry rock
4 stage rodi unit
Various pumps and stuff

Items needing serious attention:
Tank needs to be cleaned
Rock cycled
Rodi filters all changed
Plumbing needs to be replaced
Gaskets need replaced

Items to buy soon:
Eheim jager heaters
Controller
A second radion
Plumbing
A new return pump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Rug in living room shows color scheme for corals and fish.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
good looking setup. what are thinking to put in it?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Aqua scape: There’s a few pieces of Tonga and then a large amount of figi rock. I’m thinking of building a base with the Tonga rock sticking out, crawling through the sand, with the figi stacked in a large mound on top.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Corals: mainly blues reds oranges purples etc.
zoas on the Tonga and some monti caps and digis. Yellow leather, orange pass, rainbow pocillapora, etc.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Fish: yellows/oranges
tomini tang, canary wrasse, yellow clown goby, clownfish w rose anemone, lawnmower blenny, yellow tang.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Equipment to buy:
New return pump - sicce?
2nd radion - does it have to be the same generation radion? The one I have is a rebuild.
New filters, membranes, and DI.
New hard plumbing
Gyre pump
Apex - jr. or full system?

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Equipment to buy:
New return pump - sicce?
2nd radion - does it have to be the same generation radion? The one I have is a rebuild.
New filters, membranes, and DI.
New hard plumbing
Gyre pump
Apex - jr. or full system?

I’d recommend the full apex over the jr. if you can swing the extra cost. The jr. can be quite limiting.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Plumbing: good ole PVC.
With the standard Durso system that is so common with “reef ready” tanks, I’m going to go with a herbie style plumbing system. Planning on using the 3/4” as my main drain 6” below the emergency drain with a weir cover and a gate valve on the line below it to the sump, using the 1” drain as my emergency drain with a slight trickle of water in it, and having my return hang over the back with a t in it to return to the sump via a second gate valve.
I wish there were room for a 3rd drain to bean animal this thing or the possibility of drilling the back but there’s not. This was the best I could come up with. Planning on the two gate valves, the one to the sump to regulate amount of water going to the drains, the second to regulate the trickle down the larger emergency drain.
Any red flags or thoughts from anyone?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Do yourself and the family a favor. Nuke the rock with bleach before it ever comes in the house. I learned the hard way with used rock.. :(
It’s dry and I set it out in the driveway for a few days to get uv blasted. I’ve also thrown out all the “reef saver” concrete like rock that’s useless and only kept the truly porous rocks.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mostly zoas and some montis.
Fish will only be functional. Nothing exotic or non-functional.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
It’s in terrible shape, was one of those too good to pass up deals. I think I did the guy a favor as most of this stuff is useless - nearly every rubber seal is deteriorated and I can tell it wasn’t well kept. Stripped it “to the 2x4’s” as my dad would say.

Fourthwind

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
There should not be a valve on emergency drain... I dont think you plan to but i dont quite follow what you said. Just wanted to make sure
Correct. Not in the emergency drain. Planning one on the primary one so I can dial the E drain in to a trickle. E drain is larger, 1” while the main is the 3/4”.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Opinions in a kole tang vs tomini in a 90? Keeping the fish/bioload low so only room for one tang.