I have a couple questions on buying premixed saltwater

I have a couple questions on buying premixed saltwater...
1. Whats a fare price for saltwater?
2. How do you store it?
3. How long can I store it?

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Fair price seems to be around $1.25 per gallon for saltwater.

Store it in the 5 gallon containers that you can buy at the LFS. Shake well every day or two.

You can store it for a while, but if it's going to be for an extended period, you'll want something that can continuesly mix it. Like a powerhead in a bucket.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Since I don't have an RO/DI setup, and Thornton water is like pure sewage, fertilizer, and chemicals, I get all mine from Elite Reef in Arvada. $1.25/gallon. They sell the 5g jugs w/ handle and ER logo for $15, but first fillup (fresh or salt) is free. I tried Walmart, and the 5g camping jugs were nice, but the same price, around $14!

So it was a no brainer, just buy them from ER. Fillups are 50cents/gal. for fresh, $1.25/salt as Drew mentioned. Lady at ER said they use Kent salt, not sure which one exactly though. They got a 400g storage tank, nizzzzze.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh, I have a few cards that Elite uses to give you a free 5 gallons after you buy so many. Come get them and they are yours. I think the salt one only needs like 2 more before you get a free 5 gallons.

Also, how big is your tank and is this an initial fill? I would be willing to let you borrow my RO/DI unit to get your tank filled and it would be a lot less than Elite, depending on tank size of course.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes, but rinse them really well. Also, you don't want to store the water in those buckets as they can leach out some stuff.

Again, how big is the tank?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
cdrewferd;193449 said:
Yes, but rinse them really well. Also, you don't want to store the water in those buckets as they can leach out some stuff.

Again, how big is the tank?
Seriously? Maybe that's the source of my cyano. I store RO in those home depot buckets all the time, and just noticed that my tds was 6 instead of 0...which is what it reads out of my RO. Figured it was just residue or something. Hmmm...

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea, they aren't rated to store liquids. You could use a Seachem bucket or other salt bucket, but not those. I have a 45g Brute you could borrow for a while. Be lots of water for the 30. LOL

Its a 90g I've had it up for almost 6yrs with fish and live rock.
I've always used tap water and mixed with Kent salt. I've never had any problems.
Now I'm getting more interested in corals so I started reading more and I never knew not to use tap water...
So I'm changing my old ways and just looking for more knowledge

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
LOL. I'll have to figure something out. I do have an empty seachem bucket I could use...but I'm thinking that's probably in the 3 gallon range, so it's not quite large enough. I like to have at least 5 gallons on hand at a time, and usually keep closer to 10 so that I have enough for both my water changes and mixing my Ca and Alk for dosing.

I'm assuming those buckets are at least OK for mixing salt that I'll be using within a few hours? Sounds like I'll have to invest in a few of those storage buckets from Elite sometime soon.

Anybody need a half dozen home depot buckets? lol

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea, they are fine for a while. Just not week long storage.

McCoy, glad to see you're moving on to a reef setup. For a 90 though, I would really look at buying an RO/DI unit. It will be really nice to be able to have extra water on hand and be able to make more if needed. Air, Water & Ice has a 50gpd unit that is only $110. Though with being in Thornton you might need a BRS 5 stage with an extra DI. Several of our members who are on Thornton water have these types of setup and it helps the resin to last a while longer and give better overall performance.

ailachami

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
has saltwater prices gone up? i remember buying premixed at $.99/gallon and rodi is $.40/gallon. but i guess it also depend on where you live. thats what i was buying before i got my own rodi. i store them up to one week and shake before using. now i make it a day before and have the powerhead mixing until i use it.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yep. $1.25 for salt and $.50 for RO is pretty standard, though some places charge more.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
You'd need to rig it up near your kitchen or bathroom faucet and order your kit with the appropriate feed adapter. Optimum place would be near somewhere you could put a small storage tank or barrel to collect the water. They probably don't want you tapping into the plumbing.

This is the nice Typhoon setup that Drew was talking about, for a buck-fiddy:

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/1TYPHOON/Typhoon-5-stage-RODI-Reefkeeper-75-GPD.html

McCoy5280;193462 said:
I live in a apartment in Westminster... Is a RO/DI unit something i can use in a apartment?
yes, with an adaptor you could hook it right up to your kitchen sink. do you have a washing machine in your apartment?

sent from my HTC evo 4G

reefmaster719

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Go to lowes and get a adapter to screw into your sink that has a nipple on it that your colored hose will hook up to. Pretty simple to do.

reefmaster719

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The Lfs down the street has .50 gallon saltwater and .10cent fresh ro. I was still tired of those prices and my ro and salt buckets pay for themselves twice over.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
When I lived in an apartment, I mounted my RO unit on a piece of plywood with a handle on it. I used the quick connect for the faucet and stuck the waste line in the drain. I also used a brute trash can on wheels with a float valve so I wouldn't accidentally flood the apartment. When i was using it, I would store the RO unit in the brute and in a closet.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2