I just LOVE getting yelled at via PM by sponsors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm going to start out by saying that I did not want to have to write this post. However, I feel that it is necessary.

Mike and I have had some bad experiences with one of the club sponsors, which was quite a disappointment because Mike liked and respected him quite a bit. Because he was a sponsor, and because Mike did respect him, we didn't post anything about those bad experiences on the forum. We did privately tell a few people what happened with this vendor when they asked questions. Our conversations about the situation were entirely truthful at all times. Since I just got lambasted via private message by this sponsor, and accused of bad mouthing him and spreading rumors, I think it's time to clear the air in a more public fashion. To essentially be accused of lying by a sponsor is something that I find egregious and unacceptable.

These were the experiences that Mike and I had, explained in the same fashion that we expressed privately to a handful of people:

The marine velvet that killed most of the fish in my tank came from the blonde naso that I got from Catfish Charlies. I recognize that this is a risk you take with any fish purchase you make, and I don't blame him for the loss I sustained as a result of adding that fish into my tank. However, once we learned what had decimated my fish population, Mike and I went to his store to let him know so that he could take whatever steps he deemed necessary to prevent losses in his own tanks that would hurt his business and cost him money. I did not, and absolutely would not, ask for a refund. No way. However, I saw that nearly all of his fish had already been infected with either velvet or something similar. There were some indicators that he was treating his tanks, so he knew there was a problem. I was extremely disappointed to see that, despite this, all of the fish were available to purchase. He sold a couple of them while we were there that day, and didn't say a single word to the buyers about dipping or quarantining. He had an interesting new fish that I had never seen before, and when I inquired about it (what does it eat, is it reef safe, etc) he tried to sell me that fish on the spot, despite the fact that it was obviously sick. In my opinion, that's extremely unethical and NOT what I would consider a good business practice. Ethical fish stores will not sell fish that they KNOW to be sick, especially not when it's something highly contagious.

Despite that example of bad business practices, Mike ordered a sawtail tang from him because he was the first store to locate them. He prepaid $109 for a 3" fish. At the same time, I ordered a banggai cardinal. When those fish came in, I went to pick them up because Mike was working, and Ron required that they be picked up as soon as they arrived. When I walked in the door, the first thing I was told was that the sawtail tang came in smaller than expected. It was not 3". It was less than half that size. Not good, but not his fault. I called Mike, and the decision was made that I would not take that fish home. It was not what had been ordered, bottom line. We both understood that the vendor had not sent the right fish, and never once blamed Ron for it being incorrect. The size was crucial for 2 reasons- 1) the smaller the tang, the less likely it is to survive, and 2) it was going into a QT tank with 7 large yellow tangs. No way would it have lived. While I was talking to Mike on the phone about his fish, Ron had started acclimating the banggai cardinal that I was to take with me. That fish had been shipped in the same bag as 2 others, so he could not just hand me the bag. Knowing that he was acclimating the banggai with 'sick' water, and faced with acclimating it again when I got home, I decided I wasn't comfortable taking my fish with me either. Ron acted like I was making a big deal out of nothing, that double-acclimating would not cause any stress or harm. I respectfully disagreed, and left the store. A few days later, we went back so Mike could explain why we had decided not to take his sawtail home. Ron's response to the information about the 7 yellow tangs was a very snide/snarky "I'm sorry" as if it wasn't his problem. He complained repeatedly that now he was going to be stuck with this fish, and the other 2 sawtails that he had ordered in with it, because Mike wouldn't take it home. Mike asked about him getting in the sawtail at 3" like he had ordered & paid for, and was told that would cost more to make that happen. That was the last straw for both of us. We knew that he would refuse to refund us the money we had prepaid for the fish, so we used that store credit to buy the safest thing we could think of- salt.
This morning, someone asked a general question in the chatbox about a walking batfish. I responded that I had only ever seen one (indicating that it wasn't a common fish in the hobby), and it was at a store where I would not shop. I didn't name the store or the owner. Despite what had happened, I was reluctant to go public about it.

I then ran some errands, and came back to the following private message from Ron:

Cindy I'm assuming that when you were talking on "chat" about a "walking batfish" and "will not buy from that store anymore", you're talking about my shop! Why the heck are you and Mike so ****ed at me? I did EVERYTHING you two asked of me and went over and beyond to get those sawtail tangs for Mike (over two weeks calling every supplier I knew)! It wasn't my fault that I was lied to about their size AND you could have picked up the bangai cardinal later! Nether you or Mike really talked to me about it, but did come in and take store credit for what you paid!

I have heard "rumors" that you and Mike have been "bad mouthing me"! Be respectful and if you have issues than come talk to me and not spreading rumors. I did NOTHING WRONG except "try" to make you and Mike happy and ALL I feel now in return is "kicked in the face" for something I was NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR! I did NOTHING wrong except apparently trying to help you and Mike!!!

Ron Acklin
Owner
Catfish Charlie's Tropical Fish, Inc.​

At no point did I tell a single lie about Ron or Catfish Charlies. Neither did Mike. If someone asked about it, we told the simple truth about our experiences with this vendor/sponsor. To accuse us of badmouthing and spreading rumors is dangerously close to calling us liars, and that is unacceptable, as is the entire tone of the message. It is filled with utter garbage, quite frankly. Up until I received this message, I was simply deeply disappointed with his ethics and business practices. However, NOW I'm angry. In my opinion, Ron is unethical, has the worst customer service I have ever seen from a business owner, and repeatedly demonstrates an attitude of self-righteous indignation. It amazes me that he is still in business.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
09bumblebee;248247 said:
I wish sponsors would take more action when they have infected tanks. Cris at AA had a purple tank that I wanted and refused to sell it until he was healed he also treated the other 2 tanks that fish was in to be sure they were not infected. That is how all sponsors should be. I know they take a hit in sales but ultimately it will bring back customers.
That's the right way to handle the situation, in my opinion. I've had vendors/sponsors tell me not to buy things for a variety of reasons, and it makes me a LOT more likely to shop with them in the future because it shows me that they care about the fish/corals they sell, AND about their customers having successful outcomes.

Cindy first lets get some issues right!
1 - You did NOT get marine velvet from my shop or system! Yes the Blond Naso you bought was bought through my shop.....BUT was a pre-order pre-paid fish that was not EVER in my system!!! You took the fish home in the shippers unopened bag and the bag wasn't even floated in my water! SO how is it possible to get marine velvet from my shop? I got TWO Blond Naso on that shipment and I "picked out" what looked like the biggest and nicest fish for you and set aside in another box. The other fish was accumulated into my system with out any issues and sold about several days later to a very happy customer! I fact this customer was in my shop today and bought three more saltwater fish a Sm Clown Trigger, Niger Trigger and a Green Bird Wrasse!
2 - WHY knowing this Blond Naso was direct from the shipper and you did NOT QT this fish, hummmmm???
3 - What "indicators that he was treating his tanks" did you see? I did not have "marine velvet or something similar" as you said in my system! And if you "thought" I did ......why didn't you talk to me about it???? I do use a diatom filter or a Marineland "HOT" filter or both from time to time on my saltwater systems if this is what you seen. But they're used after we've cleaned algae off the sides or have done other "stuff" to the tanks that stir things up. We use them to clear up the water after we work on the tanks! Yes we do tank cleaning during hours we're open, if we can.
4 - My system is designed to not spread disease through out the system! We have two systems, one for fish and one for inverts. Each tank is individual and water dose not run between tanks to not spread disease. Yes they do use "common" water (each system different) but after the water has been heavily filtered before it even goes into the biological filtration section! Than into a common sump and pumped back to individual tanks! This system works so well that each tank can have slightly different readings!

Bad business practices!
1 - I did explain to you about the Walking Batfish as to "what it eats, is it reef safe, ect. and IT WAS NOT SICK! I told you that I was surprised that I still had one. I explained that we usually sale them before we tank them (still in shippers bag) or soon after we tank them. THERE WAS NOTHING HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS IN THE SYSTEM! Again the Walking Batfish was eating well, healthy and we sold it about 10 days later.
2 - As to NOT saying any word to customers about "dipping them or quarantine them". Most ALL of our customer are repeat customers and many do QT fish and many do not. That's the customers choice and I've already talk to many of them about this! Many of our customer tell us they have very little problem with our fish with no quarantine. Any one can get a disease at any time from any shop, not just mine, specially ICK! NO shop or supplier quarantines fish long enough to "cure" all problems, it takes FOUR MONTHS for proper QT!
3 - If we treated all our customers soooooo bad than why are we usually so busy and saltwater livestock sales is over 70% of our sales? Yes I do admit it can be hard to talk to me when I'm busy. But I do "try" to give all my customers the same attention, you just have to be a little patient.
4 - If I didn't care about my customers and livestock, why am I at the shop everyday its open six days each week? I could "hire" employees and still be enjoying my retirement if I didn't care!

Mike's Sawtail Tangs and your Aquacultured Bangai Cardinals
1 - You wanted Aquacultured Bangai Cardinals so I brought in six. I have not ever bought Bangai's from this shipper before. My other shipper I usually receive Bangai's bag them separately, I told you this! So I had no idea that they'd ship three to a bag! I told you that I'll tank them and you can pick them up later. But you got an attitude and told me that you were going to refuse them! I told you that you had that right to do so! I tank them and STILL have have ALL six of them and all are very healthy! In fact to get rid of them they're going on SPECIAL this weekend for $15.99 each or 3/$44.99, for Aquacultered Bangai Cardinals! They're regular about $30 each!
2 - Mike's Sawtail Tangs I was told were 3" when I ordered them. I had NO idea how small they really were till I got them in! I was probably more surprised than you and I told you they were MUCH smaller than expected before you even seen them! After you called Mike you told me that you were going to refuse them! Yes it did upset me, I'd just brought in two "rare" tangs that I worked very hard trying to find! It took me HOURS of calling everyone I knew to get them and after being in this business for over 30 years that's a lot of people!
3 - When you told me you wanted larger ones I did call my supplier and asked them about this and they told me they would be a little higher price IF they could even get larger ones. Larger fish generally cost more if you've not noticed! I gave you a very good price on the Sawtail Tangs and couldn't do larger ones at the same price. If you'd TOLD me they HAD to be at least 3" (which you didn't), I would have told the shipper NOT to send them if they were smaller! That way I'd had something to go back at the shipper to!
4 - You and Mike did NOT ever talk to me about how you wanted to "handle this", except you could use the "credit" for salt in kind of a "round about way"! So I thought you were "happy" doing so! Yes this could have been handled differently, but every time you and Mike came into the shop we were VERY busy and yes it was hard to talk to me when it's so busy. But a little patients could have avoided this!

Bottom Line!
Mike worked for me back in the 90's at Catfish Charlie's Aquarium Shop! My business practices have NOT changed and I still believe we offer the best quality and service at the best price anywhere!
2 - We have HUNDREDS of happy customers (many are MASC members) and many are from 30 years ago and still tell us we're the best shop around!
3 - There are MANY fantastic people that I've met through MASC. As a sponsor of MASC Mike and Cindy are the ones that talked me into this. BUT I am having second thoughts about sponsoring a forum that has SOOOOO much arguing and fighting on it, WHY! We are ALL here, at least I hope for the same reason, THE BETTERMENT OF THE HOBBY!
4 -LIKE ME OR HATE ME, I DO CARE! I'm the person that set the standards for the Colorado Department of Agriculture in the 1980's that they STILL use today!!! I still do my best to provide the best service, quality and price that anyone can offer! If I didn't care than why am I so confident in our quality we guaranty ALL saltwater for 72 hours! Who else in this STATE dose that?

Cindy and Mike come talk to me, maybe after hours!

09bumblebee;248247 said:
I wish sponsors would take more action when they have infected tanks. Cris at AA had a purple tank that I wanted and refused to sell it until he was healed he also treated the other 2 tanks that fish was in to be sure they were not infected. That is how all sponsors should be. I know they take a hit in sales but ultimately it will bring back customers.
I do take action on infected tanks! Any tank can easily be "turned off" the system for medication if needed and clearly marked not for sale! I've MANY times not sold livestock to customers that I didn't feel would not work in their system or I didn't believe was ready to be sold! I have other income and don't have to live off what the shop makes, so I just don't sale to make a sale! I came out of retirement to set-up this shop and the goal was to offer quality live stock, service at a very affordable price and most of all have FUN doing so! I've been complemented many times on how well we do this!

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: I just LOVE getting yelled at via PM by sponsors.

I will deal with this (my reply) when I get home tonight!!! But as stated in the past unless you have a direct experience with this situation please keep your comments to yourself.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: I just LOVE getting yelled at via PM by sponsors.

Well after much thought about this, this will be my reply. I back, support, and stand behind what Cindy had to say. Its said its done and I do not see the use in arguing this any more. I am going to agree to disagree and wish Ron the best of luck.
Any and all further communications can be pm'ed, emailed majic1mike@msn.com, or a call 720-438-0387 to me and me only.

I am considering this thread closed and I really don't feel further contact is needed.
Thank you,
Michael
Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.