1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

I need help With my maxima clam

Discussion in 'Clams - bivalve molluscs' started by quillin35, Mar 27, 2015.

1. quillin35

quillin35 Amphipod M.A.S.C Club Member

so I bought a maxima clam about three weeks ago. my question is about; What can I do differently in my tank or with my clam to allow to relax fully and open up? I have moved it up and down in my tank. its now back in the sand. I have checked its byssal gland nothing seems to be wrong, no snails, it attached to a couple pieces of rock. Lost has what I can do next...

parameters:
    ph 8.2
    nitrites,ammonia 0
    nitrates 5ppm
    phospates between .1 to .2 api test kit
    calcium 480 red sea test kit
    mag 1400 red sea test kit

tank: 54g corner bow front
    lighting: 250w mh
    salt used: red sea pro salt

2. szavoda

szavoda Prawn M.A.S.C Club Member

Play soothing music?

Couple of things that I might be tempted to try:

1. You Phos reading seem quite high. Do you run GFO?
    2. Water seems cloudy in the pic - or is that just the pic quality? Can you / do you run carbon?
    3. You may want to reduce the lighting intensity for a few days to see if the clam likes it more.
    4. How old is the tank?
    5. Any chance there are other critter messing with it - what inverts do you have?

Shawn

3. quillin35

I think its the quality.. I will try running carbon for a few days.. should I try and move it into the shade? shorten the light by how much? my mh runs for 9 hrs and actinic 10 hrs. the only things I see crawling on are the crabs, I have trying to remove them and just put them in the sump. 8 months old

4. jahmic

jahmic Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

What's your alkalinity?

5. quillin35

6. szavoda

It is not about the period of light but rather the intensity when acclimating something. Just see if you can raise the MH up 12 inches and see how that does. 9 dkh is good. Also - if the Phos #'s are accurate look at running GFO as well. Try to get it down to .05 or so.

7. quillin35

A reactor or a media bag which one is better?

8. szavoda

Reactors are best as the media surface area is maximized as the media tumbles. Two Little Fishies has a inexpensive dual model if I remember correctly. But a media bag is perfectly fine to get things kick started. I would suspect your GFO will get exhausted must faster than your carbon as it cleans up the phosphate in the system.

9. quillin35

I can't raise my light should i try shading it a little bit

10. szavoda

Yea - just put the clam in one corner of the tank and shade it a bit so it is getting more ambient light and see how it reacts over the course of a day or two.

11. szavoda

I am betting that the water quality vs. the lighting will be the end solution though

12. quillin35

K thanks i just moved and bought a media bag to start things till i can get a phos reactor

13. szavoda

You can do phos in a media bag too if you want...

14. SkyShark

SkyShark Barracuda Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

You can do layers of window screen from Home Depot to shade the clam. Start with a few layers and remove them one at a time

15. quillin35

Thats a good idea may have to try it...

16. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

ya this prolly the better idea, moving it around all the time is could just keep it upset and wont help it open up any sooner imo. but I would say the bigger issue is the parms. get those inline and I'd bet he opens up

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  17. Andrew_bram

Andrew_bram Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

Any chance it's a pinched mantle

18. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Ya actually looking at the clam in the photo, it doesnt look like a maxima, its shell is smoother then usual for a maxima. Are you sure of what kind it is?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2015
  19. CRW Reef

CRW Reef Orca Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Curious does the clam open up at all?

20. quillin35

Yes it does a little i will take a picture later today, they said it was at aquamart...can anything be done about the pinched mantle?