I want it gone!!!

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So in all my tanks i have had to battle red cyano. i hate it every day i have to take a brush and clean it off so it doesnt cover my coral it grows on my glass rocks and sand and it will grow over my corals. But anyways How do i get rid of this??? I am tired of battling it I have tried everything
hand pulling it out,Cutting nutrients so their is no extra,cutting light hours down,massive water changes etc: it never goes away though every day it gets worse and worse. this morning i woke up it was on my highest rocks It was covering some of my zoas and you couldnt even see the sand! I am just plain tired of this stuff. So my question for you guys is how else would i get rid of it?

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cyano needs 3 things to survive. Lights, nutrients and low flow. From my readings around the net if its in your display tank add more flow and do a 2-3 days of lights out, never done it myself but people are saying your corals will be fine during the lights out period.

Water changes will start to help, but there has to be something feeding it. Maybe get your nitrates double checked with a different test kit, yours might be bad. How old are your lights? Is your skimmer good? More flow may help as well.

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
my lights are brand new I will go check the nitrates agin the flow i have in the tank all time are the stock pumps for the red sea max and then a tunze pump dont know the name of it but it is the big version of the mini pump in the mr saltwater video. so the corals wont get hurt if i do a blackout?

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Corals should be fine but a blackout is only a temporary fix. You still have to solve the root of the problem.

Sent from my Droid Incredible.

120greefman

When I had cyano I ended up pulling all my lr and sprayed and scrubed it down with super hot water. Then did a big water change and raised my magnesium a lot. Did another water change the following week and it was gone. Not sure what part of the equation fixed it but I was almost to the point of just taking my tank down. Haven't had it since. Good luck.

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here is three main ones
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0.25
So that is the only high one

cremer9

Butterfly Fish
I dip a toothbrush in antired and scrub it,more light and current.get that coarline alge growing.mine is cleaning up slowly
oh yea water changes once a week.

mgilger

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah just add more flow, I had a battle with it recently and there really is not a quick fix. I just kept up with my water changes and realized I was feeding to much.

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
okay recently i have been doing 50% water change weekly

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
phosphate .25? How about a little fishes phosban reactor? RoDi water?

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
cremer9;82178 said:
I dip a toothbrush in antired and scrub it,more light and current.get that coarline alge growing.mine is cleaning up slowly
oh yea water changes once a week.
I've never used it but jonthefb has always recommended antired too me?

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Okay well i will try that boogie do you think I really should get one?

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
How long has your tank been setup? .25 is really high, if the tank is fairly new I would question that test kit...especially with 50% water changes.

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
This one after the leak it has been about a month