I want it gone!!!

little_fish

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have heard some whisperings that cyano tends to do better in systems with low alk. I havent seen an totally conclusive evidence, but it might be worth checking out.

Mckibbonator

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I like phosphate reactors because they are long term and keep all kinds of bad algae.

mgilger

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
M.A.S.C Club Member
I agree with the alk, once I started dosing alk, within 2 weeks all of it had disappeared.

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would give you some but last night I took over a hour and manually removed all of it

The alk thing is false. I dose and keep my alk at 10+ dkh and I still have cyano. Mine is green. Grows in a thin film and is very slimy. Grows back in a day or two. Been manually removing it for 2 months. No joy.

New lights. New RO filters. New RO membranes. Boosted my weekly water changes from 5g up to about 8g.

You know what is FINALLY getting a handle on it? Friggin' algae turf scrubber!! I built one with a 7x7 screen and I'm pushing about 480gph over the screen with dual 23w curly-q CFL bulbs. It's growing algae like crazy and the cyano is fading in the display. I'm still doing manual removal and still running my skimmer.

http://www.algaescrubber.net/forums/index.php?sid=c807152bda18c6613019bc32ba84835c

How much are you feeding? Flow is the way to go as I know you have already heard. Don't do too much work yanking it out as it will grow back as quick as you can clean it if you do not address the root of the problem. When I had it bad I sucked all of it out, left the tank in the dark for a few days and doubled my in tank circulation. It never came back again.

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I feed the fish every other day and feed coral every 2 weeks

Mantid

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
the_fish_man;82486 said:
I feed the fish every other day and feed coral every 2 weeks
Unless you have a really big system with a lot of fish, I think even a small pinch of food every other day could be cut back to once a week or less. And no reason to feed your corals, they can get what they need via light, you are just feeding your cyano. How long are your lights on per day?

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes but I have a sun coral so I need to feed atleast that

Mantid

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
the_fish_man;82563 said:
Yes but I have a sun coral so I need to feed atleast that

Your sun coral will be fine. cut back a lot. if you see your sun coral isnt as happy as usual, then go back to feeding more. there is a balance in your system and right now its leaning more toward growing cyano than coral. Find that happy medium.

Mantid

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;82568 said:
Guess I shouldn't mention how often I feed!

Sent from my Droid Incredible.
I understand that many people feed multiple time per day. No reason to stop if that its working for them. In his case, he has some experimenting to do, like we all have done. Dont give the impression that just because you are able to feed that much, it is necessary to always do so.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Most corals are filter feeders, they dont ~need~ to be spot fed, they eat what ever particulate matter is available, in this sense they do not need to be fed, as they derive all they need from the water column.
If you have a small sun coral, or a less than super healthy frag, I would not suggest stoping feeding, just cutting back a bit, but in the end if the system cannot support the waste from the bio load you are going to have some nuisance algae.
Excessive waste=excessive pests.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mantid;82688 said:
I understand that many people feed multiple time per day. No reason to stop if that its working for them. In his case, he has some experimenting to do, like we all have done. Dont give the impression that just because you are able to feed that much, it is necessary to always do so.
Wow, sorry, didn't know I was giving any kind of impression to feed "that much" even though I never stated how much "that much" is... I guess I assumed he listened to the advise given in this thread to cut back feedings to help with his problem....

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes I have cut back feeding also adding more flow and getting some of the stuff boogie suggested. Aaron I use to jaw a colony of it but then at my tank crash it lost a tone of heads so now I only have about 7 heads is that big enough to stop feeding?

Mantid

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;82774 said:
Wow, sorry, didn't know I was giving any kind of impression to feed "that much" even though I never stated how much "that much" is... I guess I assumed he listened to the advise given in this thread to cut back feedings to help with his problem....

LOL, dont take me too seriously. I was just trying to make a point for the_fish_man is all.