Ich journal

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok so here goes nothing. I bought a salfin tang from petco knowing it was probably infected with ich. I mean it is petco. I also have dr. G medicated food from aquatic art. It contains chloriquin phosphate as the medication. For this of you that don't know it is used to treat malaria(which is in the same family as cryptocaryon). This medication is touted by bob fenner as effective. The only ways to treat ich in our fish is hypo,copper, or the tank transfer method. Raising temperature and garlic are bit proven methods but one of the two holds some merit. Feeding garlic does increase appetite there by allowing the fish to fight off infection. Raising temp however does not work because like malaria it is a warm water parasite. While raising temperature can cause it to hatch faster it does nothing to kill the parasite. Onto chloriquin phosphate is used by public aquariums as a method however it is a prescription medicine. Cp works in a different way than copper as copper only kills the parasite in theronts stage where they are floating around looking for a host. Cp actually enters the bloodline of the fish and kills the trophont stage. This is why when Cp is used typically there appears to be more spots on your fish because they are trying to escape the medicine.

So here is the scoop I started feeding tonight the dr g food. Twice a day and there are corals in the tank. I will keep everyone posted on the outcome.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
On another note I was worried the fish may not like the taste of medicated food. I must say that was not a problem. He took the food like it was best tasting thing on the planet.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I'm am curious about the results, so tagging along

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Honestly so am I. It is known that cp works to kill ich. Question is does this food contain enough of the drug to be effective. I am using no other measures as Cp is also supposed to stimulate feeding. However if he stops eating I will start adding garlic to the tank.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Wait you purposefully bought a fish with ich and put it in your DT? Andrew ........ You bored my friend or just crazy?

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;293750 said:
Wait you purposefully bought a fish with ich and put it in your DT? Andrew ........ You bored my friend or just crazy?
No it is in another tank that has corals in it and no other livestock.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's cool Cindy. Here was my thought I like this fish anyway so if this med is strong enough in the food then I have a means for the display tank. If ever I have a problem

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
hahaha!!
I thought about you when I was diving in Cabo Pulmo. I saw a HUGE angel flash on a rock, and I thought... dang! They get ich in the ocean, too! I gotta tell Andrew, so he can come feed them some of that fancy medicated food he's got!