1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

ID your coral/fish/etc

Discussion in 'Newbies Corner' started by deboy69, Oct 9, 2014.

1. deboy69

deboy69 Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member

Hopefully this isn't a repeat but I didn't see a sticky for this (searched back a year) . Maybe we could make one.

The object is to post a pick here instead of creating a whole new thread (there are a bunch)

So here is one I need a name for.. [​IMG]

2. Ghxst

Ghxst Prawn

The picture doesn't capture the amazingness I saw :) I looked online and the only thing I could see that was close is the Tyree LE Red Watermelon Alien Eye. I know that the Tyree one is pinker and you have that ember orange but I think you said it was more pink when you got it. If anyone knows for sure that would be awesome.

3. deboy69

deboy69 Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member

Thanks I'll look into that. Anyone know what this is?

4. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Stickied

5. cent36

cent36 Amphipod M.A.S.C Club Member

Need an ID

So late tonight, I turned the light on where my sump is and noticed "new" life. A couple of things actually. I know my pics aren't great, but I tried to get the best ones possible.

1- There is some cobweb/spiderweb like stuff near a rock. You will see it in one of the pictures
    2- There are some worm like things coming up out of the rock sticking straight up with what look like small polyps on them. I thought they were flowing in the water, but then they would abruptly shrink away and in some cases, bend over, then extend again. They were moving independent of the water flow.

You have to look closely at the pics to see everything but here they are....

[attachment=67904:name]

Attached Files:

6. cent36

OH, and BTW, I know there is a feather duster in the pics

7. Ghxst

Ghxst Prawn

The cobweb things look like a vermetid worm, they put webs in the water and pull them back in and eat the poop the web collects. I know others have mixed reviews on them but if they are not directly bothering a coral I leave em be. Gl on the other worm ID, im not sure.

8. cent36

Just looked again, and they are all over the place. At least 10 that I counted
    Here are a few other pics that are better...

[attachment=67906:name]

Attached Files:

9. Ghxst

Ghxst Prawn

It almost looks like dead algae bits, weird.

10. Ghxst

Ghxst Prawn

Bump on OP ID.

11. Balz3352

Balz3352 Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

Look like digitate hydroid to me.... Relatively harmless. They would bug some of my zoas causing them to close so I'd super glue them. I used to have a bunch now I can't find any...

12. Miah2bzy

Miah2bzy Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member

13. InCheyenne

InCheyenne Copepod

[​IMG] picked this up yesterday for $10 looks familiar but can't think of the name of it for the life of me

14. Haddonisreef

Haddonisreef Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

Acan or trumpet?

15. InCheyenne

InCheyenne Copepod

Looks like it could be either doesn't it?

16. Haddonisreef

Haddonisreef Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

A and grow baby's around the base of tissue, trumpets heads will split hope this helps.

17. InCheyenne

InCheyenne Copepod

Well time shall tell.

18. InCheyenne

InCheyenne Copepod

Thanks @haddonisreef

19. InCheyenne

InCheyenne Copepod

Picked up another frag that I don't know what it is. Guy at LFS said it just came in as "assorted frag" anyone know what it is? [​IMG] sorry about the crap photo.

20. just_tim

just_tim Amphipod

Looks like a tort. Hard to tell with the lighting