Invert id

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anyone know what this is? I'm thinking it's a type of tunicate. It came on a frag disk with a ricordia. It didn't do anything for a couple months and then recently it moved about an inch away onto the rock. Main reason I think it's a type of tunicate is because I see two small openings that could be a siphon.
View attachment 17281
View attachment 17282

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Looks like a sponge. I have quite a few of those on my live rock

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
SynDen;289096 said:
Looks like a sponge. I have quite a few of those on my live rock
I was thinking that at first, but I wasn't aware of sponges getting up and walking someplace new. This guy definitely moved on its own.

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Really? Unless it's growing that quick. Maybe not a sponge. Can you get a better pic?

V

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
fishguy69;289107 said:
Really? Unless it's growing that quick. Maybe not a sponge. Can you get a better pic?

V
yeah, definitely moved, doesn't seem to have grown much. At first i thought it was a baby ricordia that was going to open up, but that never happened. I will try to get a better shot, but it is pretty tucked away.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sure looks like a sponge to me...

Sent from my SCH-R970C using Tapatalk

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
MartinsReef;289302 said:
When you say it moves; how much does it move?
It only moved once that I can tell. It moved about 1/2 an inch across the frag disk and about 1/2 inch up the rock. It used to be next to the base of the ricordia in that picture. It sure does look like a sponge, but I can't explain how it got up on the rock.

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Look up stomatella snail.

edit: ignore me - i was responding to post above didn't even notice yours...have no clue what that is :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt_Arian

For Stuffing!
M.A.S.C Club Member
This might sound slightly stupid, but if I recall correctly, didn't Splangler from Ghost Busters say that he witnessed a massive sponge migration? I know it's a movie and that sponges are sessile (for the most part), but I could have sworn that I read somewhere that smaller sponges can move, even though it's a tiny amount per day.

Matt_Arian

For Stuffing!
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nevermind, it was Ray who said it. And it was a foot and a half.

[video=youtube_share;KryNGmx56ao]http://youtu.be/KryNGmx56ao[/video]

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Matt_Arian;290000 said:
Nevermind, it was Ray who said it. And it was a foot and a half.

[video=youtube_share;KryNGmx56ao]http://youtu.be/KryNGmx56ao[/video]
haha. Awesome. Totally explains it and now I want to watch that movie! But really, i am leaning towards it being a sponge.