Iodine test kits

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm looking at the Salifert Iodine Test kit and the Red Sea Iodine/I2 Pro test kit. Anyone know if there is a significant difference between the two? The Salifert kit is more expensive ($35 vs $27), but it seems to imply it is the only test kit out that measures iodate and that that is important in our reef tanks. I'd like to go with the cheaper kit, but not if it won't give accurate results.

Thanks.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just started dosing myself, what are you guys seeing in daily consumption?

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Finger test... if it still tastes salty, I don't add more ;)

Not testing, just adding 2ml a day for 100g system.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya I add about 5ml to my topoff and has worked great for me so far

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
It is a halogen and every bit as harmful as chlorine or bromine in high does. I highly recommend that you don't add any unless you can test for it... it really can accumulate over time. There are disaster stories out there about dosing iodine.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I dose iodine daily (Brightwell Lugols). I use the salifert test and periodically test it against a seachem test. I have not noticed any accumulation over time. I do a full dose daily of 7 drops in my 250gallon system. I have been dosing for 6 months maybe? My consumption rate is 100% over 24 hours. Actually I dont even think its consumption to be honest, mostly dissolution but that's just a theory as far as I know. Regardless I noticed more vibrant colors in my corals after I started dosing Iodine. I believe its easy to overdose if you accidentally add too much at once but I personally haven't seen evidence of buildup. I tested daily for the first couple of weeks. I just test weekly now. YMMV

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;321207 said:
It is a halogen and every bit as harmful as chlorine or bromine in high does. I highly recommend that you don't add any unless you can test for it... it really can accumulate over time. There are disaster stories out there about dosing iodine.
Have you noticed any differences in the test brands? I worry that the iodate could build up if the Red Sea kit cannot test for that.

If my shrimp and hermit crabs have been regularly molting, is that a sign my levels are high enough and iodine doses are probably unnecessary? I use Kent salt if that makes a difference with 10-15% water changes every other week.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Depending on the form, it breaks down quickly, IIRC... so hard to test for after a day or two since most kids test for elemental I and I-, but it is still mostly in the tank in some form. I don't have a test kit because I don't add it - I thought that I saw a difference once, but it was something else that I was doing and the tank was just the same after I quit dosing. I used to used sodium iodide.

IIRC, Iodide is better than iodate and leaves less harmful stuff to buildup over time. I cannot remember which one Lugol's is.

Some salt mixes use one over the other and these mixes are typically better in quality and longevity and absorption. ...yes, salt mix does matter.

I imagine that you all have read RHF's article on Iodine?
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/3/chemistry