Is this Scinaia?

sugaree

Cleaner Shrimp
and is it invasive? (item 1)

I'm starting to see little red pieces popping up several place on my LR like I did when I noticed this one for the first time 6 months ago. I was at Fish Den a week or so back and I noticed the same stuff going crazy in one of their frag tanks. I don't mind the one piece in my DT but don't want it every where.

If it turns out it's not something I want to keep in my display would it be any benifit to a broodstock tank?

I'm also wondering if 2 and 3 are the same plant/algae. I thought 2 was the same as 1 but it has taken on the look of being air filled. Harmful?

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
3 looks like a form of red dictoya - that would be the one I would worry about.

2 - Botryocladia
1 - Possibly Scinaia. It looks a lot like a macro I got here. If it is in fact the same it is a really slow grower for me. I do however have a lot of other plants competing with it.

IMO invasive is a relative term. Almost all algae's can become invasive if you are giving them the nutrients to grow and there is not a lot of competition for those nutrients. At some point, given the right conditions you will have to trim back any algae.

Invasive to me is a algae which grows really fast and is not easily removed. IE, HA, bryopsis, dictoya, caulerpa, etc.

If you want to bring a piece over to me I can compare it to what I have and tell you for sure how it grows compared to other algae's but from the pictures I would be most concerned about number 3 and number 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

sugaree

Cleaner Shrimp
djkms;87449 said:
If you want to bring a piece over to me I can compare it to what I have and tell you for sure how it grows compared to other algae's but from the pictures I would be most concerned about number 3 and number 2.
Will you be at the swap this weekend? If so, I'll bring a piece of rock that new stuff is popping up on.

SAZAMA I don't think a tang will work in my 10g.

I think I'm just gonna throw it all in my other 10g that will be used for a broodstock tank eventually. As long as it wouldn't be detrimental to my clowns I don't care if it over runs their tank.

edited to add:

Would an emerald crab be a good creature to add in the event I can't remove it all? Will a crab mess with my pistol shrimp or bristle worms? Not to keen on the idea but I could always find him a new home if it didn't work out.

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Emeralds will eat #2 Botryocladia

I had this stuff covering the entire sand bed in my biocube14. Most of it is gone now.

sugaree

Cleaner Shrimp
lol! Emaralds will eat #2

Cool djkms, I will bring in a piece of each. Thanks for the link too.

edited to add:

Ok, took #2 out and removed it as close as I could to the base. Returned to DT because it has a coral (organ pipe?) I like on it. Took #1 and #3 out put them in other 10g. Upon further inspection I noticed a spot on my cup coral that looks like #2 as well so that has been removed also. I reluctantly plan to get a Emerald this weekend for my DT so hopefully he'll take care of anything I missed.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Emerald will make short work of number 2 just show him where it is at when introduced so he dont have to hunt it out.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sugaree I am such a noob. You were looking for me at the show huh. CJ from Elite said you were and I told him I had no clue who you were lol. I thought he said I was supposed to give the person looking for me macros and I said I wasn't supposed to give macros to anyone at the show but Charlie. Now that I see your thread I bet it was you looking for me trying to give me macros to look at! Sorry if it was you..dangit. Well Evergreen isn't far from my house if you want to get together sometime. lmk

sugaree

Cleaner Shrimp
Yeah, that was me looking for you. lol. No biggie. To be completely honest, the bag I had the rock/macros in was forgotten about and left in my truck for the last few days. DOH! Still is. Wasn't sure if it would be a good idea to toss it back in my tank after so long. I picked me up an emerald crab at the show so hopefully he'll take care of whatever may still be in my DT. The rest was thrown away with the exception of #1.