It been a while, but I'm BACK and planning a big build.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
Hello Everyone! I have been away from MASC and reefs foralmost 2 years now, but I am working on planning a 300G build. I am stilltrying to decide on some of the equipment and would appreciate somesuggestions. Here is what I am thinking so far. Feel free to make suggestionsand share opinions.
- MarineLand 300G DD – 72x36x27
- Custom welded and powder coated stand
- AI Hydra 52 LED’s x 4
- Either Vortech MP40 x 4 or MP60 x 2
- Bubble Magus Hero 77 Protein Skimmer
- Mag 18 return pump
- 1/2HP chiller
- ATO system (not sure which one yet)
- Biopellet reactor (also not sure which one yet)
The only thing I really need to figure out now is whichsump. I could always buy one, but I don’t think I want to pay for one the sizeI would like. I am thinking about finding a used 90G to turn into a sump/fuge.
Please let me know what you all think and any changes Ishould make or equipment I have left out (as I’m sure there’s something). Iwill definitely keep you all up to date as I get this build started.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
:welcome: back to the addiction, look forward to the new build thread. What became of the old tank?

Last edited by a moderator:

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Welcome back Lyle!!!! Looking forward to the build! Fyi ladies and gentleman this is whom MASC originally bought the par meter from.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

SynDen;344076 said:
:welcome: back to the addiction, look forward to the new build thread. What became of the old tank?
Thank you. The old tank was taken down and sold because of a move. I am set now so setting up another.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

CRW Reef;344094 said:
Welcome back Lyle!!!! Looking forward to the build! Fyi ladies and gentleman this is whom MASC originally bought the par meter from.
Thank you, and yes I am.

jda123;344128 said:
Whatcha gonna be keeping?
I am planning on a mixed reef though primarily SPS dominant. We will see. Plans are always changing with this build, I may have to downgrade the size a bit due to cost. I hope to have something concrete in the next few days.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

It is now official!!! Ordered the 300DD today. It should be here Fri. I also ordered the tank for the sump, a 90 gallon aquarium, skimmer, sand, biopellet reactors, and return pump. My roommate will start working on the stand this week, hopefully he will have it done by the end of the week so we can get it to the powder coater. We also decided on the lights.... we just have to find them. We want to get 2 x Vertex Illumina SR360's. BRS sells them, but they are not currently in stock. I am going to call them tomorrow and see if they have any idea when they will have some.

Hopefully I can have water in it by the end of next week. I will keep you all posted on progress and with pics as things start arriving.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

just_tim;344381 said:
Youre going to really enjoy that tank. I have one and the depth allows for much different rock work.
I have no doubt it will be the most enjoyable tank I have owned to date.

Also, if you get a chance, can you get me the actual, exact, dimensions with the trim? My roommate needs them so he can get going on the stand.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

So.... If anyone would be willing to help for a little while on Sat., we will be picking the tank up at Neptunes and could use a couple of guys to help load it into the back of a pickup, and also a couple to help unload it into the house (in Aurora near Buckley and Mississippi). I am trying to locate a scissor jack on wheels to help with moving the tank. It weighs almost 500 pounds so will be a big job, any help would be appreciated.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome.

I dont see a controller on that list. With as much investment as you are doing, a controller will add a lot of security to protect against tank crashes, can act as your ATO, can act as your heater controller, and synchronize your lighting and pumps. I would also put some fans on the list as they will reduce the amount of time the chiller runs and save you a ton in electricity costs.

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
You should post up a separate thread for help moving the tank. Some people might skip over a tread they've already read through. Not sure yet if I can help, working Saturday, just not sure how late yet.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Check with the local shops. I hear Aquamart has a lift but I'm not sure.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

FishTV;344442 said:
You should post up a separate thread for help moving the tank. Some people might skip over a tread they've already read through. Not sure yet if I can help, working Saturday, just not sure how late yet.
I will do thanks for the advice.

MuralReef;344449 said:
Check with the local shops. I hear Aquamart has a lift but I'm not sure.
I think we are just going to build a cart, large enough to fit the entire tank on it, out of 2x4's and put 8 or 10 inch wheels on it. Then it just needs to be loaded into the bed of the truck and slid onto the cart, then just roll it into the house (ground floor with no stairs).

MuralReef;344450 said:
Love to help but I'm not available Saturday.
I appreciate it, it's the thought that counts.