It been a while, but I'm BACK and planning a big build.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
ThunderTwonk;347559 said:
Welding in the kitchen, Now that's not something you see every day!
Ha ha, yeah. My roommate is a welder and has a TIG setup that uses 220V. The only 220V I have is the plug for the stove. So, naturally, we pulled out the stove and plugged the welder in. I just happen to have the perfect island for the job right in the kitchen. It actually worked out great. And, since it is a TIG welder, there are no sparks flying around causing a fire risk. We just opened the doors and windows and turned some fans on for fresh air exchange.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

It has been a little bit since my last update, so here we go. Unfortunately, there is not a lot to report on, but here is what is going on right now:

My roommate is finishing the stand as I type this. It will go to powder coating on Mon. and hopefully be done by Fri. Then we can get it in and start working on plumbing.

The light build kind of took the back burner to the the stand, so it is still not complete, but we plan on finishing that while we wait for the stand to come back. I have however assembled one section of the light to see how it works. I LOVE IT!!! I have attached some pics so you can all see what we are doing. Keep in mind that what you see here is only 1 part of the light. There will ultimately be 5 more of these for a total 18 x pucks and 96 x royal blue for actinics. This amounts to:

186 x royal blue
90 x neutral white
54 x red
54 x blue
36 x violet
36 x cyan

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Mocked up another heatsink, so 1/3 of the lights are wired up. My roommate also finished the stand today. I have attached some pictures of the stand. You can see that it was built in 2 parts so we can get it in the door. This thing is HEAVY! It weighs nearly as much as the tank itself. It is made with 3/16" steel angle, channel, and tube. The heaviest portion is the 4x4" steel tube around the edges. I will get more pics after we get it back from the powder coater.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Yeah! He even built in a Leak mitigation system. If a seam starts to leak, instead of sending the water all over the floor, it will flow down a channel in the stand and then into the sump. The return pump would then be turned up to compensate for the increased flow. This is not a long term solution, but would give time to get things moved into temporary homes.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
lpsouth1978;348725 said:
Yeah! He even built in a Leak mitigation system. If a seam starts to leak, instead of sending the water all over the floor, it will flow down a channel in the stand and then into the sump. The return pump would then be turned up to compensate for the increased flow. This is not a long term solution, but would give time to get things moved into temporary homes.
Sounds like the perfect place for a leak detection module for the apex. Stick one inside that channel and you will be alerted of the leak at the first drop of water.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
lpsouth1978;348727 said:
How big are the leak detection modules?
2-3/4" x 1-7/8" x 1/4" (Slim)

2-1/2" X 1-3/4" X 3/4" (Standard)

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Well, with a lot of effort (and some help), we were able to get the stand in and the tank on it. Now I can start work on the plumbing. It will probably be a couple of weeks before we get it wet, but at least the build can now move forward.

Let me say, the stand is A BEAST!!! it weighs WAY more than the tank and was a real bear to get in the house. It looks good though. We are really happy with the height of the tank and I am excited to get moving on everything else. Here are a few pics (from my phone) of the tank on the stand.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

robert.talarico;349994 said:
Tell Jeremy I said good job on the tank!
Done.

Oh, and I am not taking credit for this build, but it is not all Jeremy's doing either. I say we and I as appropriate in my posts. As a matter of fact, the only thing that I have not been a part of is the stand itself. This tank is a combined effort and I have contributed a lot to this build. That being said, Jeremy is paying for the large majority of it, while I do most of the research, plumbing, and ALL of the LED work.

On another note, hopefully we will have some more updates soon. We are just in a holding pattern waiting for things to be finished by third parties.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Almost there. We have the sump finished, putting the finishing touches on the light fixture today and it will go to be coated this week. We also ordered 320lbs of live sand, 150lbs of Pukani dry rock, and a 300GPD RO/DI system.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
lpsouth1978;350449 said:
Almost there. We have the sump finished, putting the finishing touches on the light fixture today and it will go to be coated this week. We also ordered 320lbs of live sand, 150lbs of Pukani dry rock, and a 300GPD RO/DI system.
Where'd you order that much live sand from? Sounds like the build is proceeding nicely.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

SkyShark;350459 said:
Where'd you order that much live sand from? Sounds like the build is proceeding nicely.
We ended up ordering Carrib-sea Ocean Direct Oolite sand from petmountain. It was $35/40lb bag. We may also be seeding this with a little sand from a friends 8 year old tank.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Got the finishing touches done on the light fixture. I have attached a couple of pics of the fixture as it sits now. The Storm X controllers are still in it for the pictures, but will be taken out so we can paint it over the next couple of days.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

LET THERE BE LIGHT!!

The light is finally done. We got the fixture back from powder coating on Thursday and I spent the last 2 nights wiring it all up. To my amazement, everything powered up right off the bat and seems to be working correctly. There are a couple of minor things that need to be fixed (a couple of the dimming channels are mixed up), but overall a very successful build.

I simply couldn't be happier with the end result. Here are a couple of cell phone pics of the light. Ignore the 2x4's, we will be working on the hanging mount this weekend.