Kold Ster-il Water

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So years ago I had used a Kold Ster-il unit when I set up the aquarium in the classroom. I am not sure if this led to some issues or if I just wasn't patient enough when the tank was getting first established. When I converted the 225 to the existing 360 I set up a RODI unit and have not looked back. Now I am looking to set up a multitank system here at school and use the Kold Ster-il to supply its water since I will not be focusing on corals. Since our water in Aurora is pretty good and already has water qualities similar to our goal water it should work right?

What are your thoughts on going this route?

Does anyone have any experience with these units long term?

Fourthwind

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I worked with systems just like it, and had nothing but problems with water quality in my fresh water tanks. One of the issues we face as aquarium keepers is that the current methodology of water treatment plants leaves by products that carbon alone cannot filter out. One of the one's that surprised me the most is the presence of formaldehyde which is the by product of Chloramines. GAC carbon may remove Chloramines but does not touch formaldehyde. In other words I wouldn't trust it for a salt tank. Too much at stake in my opinion.