Learning to Scuba

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Well finally get to check off one of my bucket list items, to learn to scuba. The wife and are starting the PADI certification training in preparation to our trip to Hawaii in February. We are taking the online written part now and going to be doing the dive training through the Denver aquarium. I am just curious about local dive equipment shops around town. For those that scuba, which dive shops to you guys shop at around town? At this point I just want to buy a good mask snorkel and maybe fins, but will likely look into more equipment down the road. For now though I am just looking for the basics. So where do you guys go for that?

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I shop at A1 scuba they have a decent selection of equipment. But really, any dive shop would work for mask, snorkel and fins. There are many options to choose from for those items and all have different purposes. If I was to purchase items again, I would choose based on what will travel best. My fins are huge, which is great in current and helps keep my legs from getting fatigued as quickly, but harder to travel with. There are slim profile masks as well that take up less space too. Have fun!

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I agree you will prob find the same quality and range of options at any shop. I also agree on the fins size, just make sure they fit into your suit case is all I will offer on that end.

A1 scuba on belleview and santafe is also where i would recommend going as well as they actually have a pool there in house and give certifications there (minus open water portion). You also might be able to try out some fins and maybe a few different types of masks as well. * Side note for my next mask I am going to be buying a frame-less (soft silicone purge) mask because at deeper depths my current mask (w/ plastic purge) starts to hurt the bottom of my nose and my face lol.

http://www.a1scuba.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6bhig2hTX4

https://www.leisurepro.com/i/divemasks

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Go to A1. It's a great ship and very safe. My dad is an instructor. I feel very safe with my 12 year old taking classes from all of the instructions there. My dad is tom Lemke and I hear he is the best. It's his retirement job/passion. Lots of great people to make things fun.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Good info, thanks guys

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
+1 to all the good tips above. One thing I would recommend getting beyond your own mask/snorkel is a dive computer. They are certainly an investment, but potentially a lifesaver. You can rent them from A-1 and some dive operators will also rent them (especially in the US), but diving with an unfamiliar watch can be a lot to deal with.

I got the Sunnto Zoop from Leisure Pro before my last dive trip and really liked it. On Leisure Pro the watch came with a free online training coarse which I found very helpful.
http://www.leisurepro.com/p-sqtzpw/suunto-zoop-air-nitrox-wrist-computer

Have an awesome trip!

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
What island are you going to?

The only time I've been diving after cert was on the big island. I did the night manta dive after a couple day trips. Pretty awesome!

Also a nice stop on the big island is a seahorse breeding facility in Kona.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
SkyShark;357352 said:
+1 to all the good tips above. One thing I would recommend getting beyond your own mask/snorkel is a dive computer. They are certainly an investment, but potentially a lifesaver. You can rent them from A-1 and some dive operators will also rent them (especially in the US), but diving with an unfamiliar watch can be a lot to deal with.

I got the Sunnto Zoop from Leisure Pro before my last dive trip and really liked it. On Leisure Pro the watch came with a free online training coarse which I found very helpful.
http://www.leisurepro.com/p-sqtzpw/suunto-zoop-air-nitrox-wrist-computer

Have an awesome trip!
Good to know, thanks!
halmus;357356 said:
What island are you going to?

The only time I've been diving after cert was on the big island. I did the night manta dive after a couple day trips. Pretty awesome!

Also a nice stop on the big island is a seahorse breeding facility in Kona.
Honestly not sure, will have to ask the wife which island we are going to, lol.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wait to buy gear until you've taken the class. When I took the class, the shop let me demo gear during the class, so I could decide what I really wanted. Plus there was a big discount if I bought the gear that weekend.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
FinsUp!;357457 said:
Wait to buy gear until you've taken the class. When I took the class, the shop let me demo gear during the class, so I could decide what I really wanted. Plus there was a big discount if I bought the gear that weekend.
+1

rjl45

Clown Fish
If you're further south or east, Underwater Phantaseas (Arapahoe Rd & Clinton) is also a fantastic shop. They also have a pool to try the gear out. I have known Brian and Jill (owners) for years and are great people. I also second A1, great shop as well, the Taylor's have been a staple in the Colorado scuba world for years.

You can almost always buy your gear cheaper online (leisure pro or divers direct) but I prefer to support our local businesses whenever possible.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
FinsUp!;357457 said:
Yep not planning on buying anything just yet, but figured I would check some stuff out just to get to know it.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I took my class, and got my stuff, at Denver Divers. I haven't seen the other dive shops in town, but I liked their selection, and their focus on really finding what worked for me.